Chapter 16: Young Atlas short

Charging through the portal, I saw Jim on the ground surrounded by a beam of sunlight. while toby was reaching down from a sewer opening above. looking over, I saw blinky stuck behind another beam of sunlight, unable to help. 

Jim was desperately trying to reach up, to jump up to toby. but his armour was too heavy. Bular kept circling him before he said something that shook my core. "Pathetic that you meet your end in a sewer, Young Atlas."

Jim and I both froze, only one person ever called Jim that. Strickler. We both realized what this meant. 

Snarling, I let out a bellowing roar. This caught bular off guard as I charged. raising my shield, I shoulder-checked him across the room. Bular screamed in anger as he went crashing to the ground. 

My armour gleamed with light. I reached down next to him and picked up Jim. "you ok?" I asked. Jim recognized my voice and looked up in shock. "y/n?" he asked but I nodded my head. before bular charged. 

shoving Jim behind me, I felt a primal rage build inside me. my back began to burn as I thought about how to protect my brother. bular charged at me as I readied my sword. As he struck, suddenly, a massive green flash sent him reeling back. I felt blazing heat all around me and to my shock, massive wings now sprouted from my back.

 I felt blazing heat all around me and to my shock, massive wings now sprouted from my back

"What?" I asked in shock before bular roared. but the flames of my wings sent him hissing back. the light burned him, keeping him at bay. but I could see the wings flickering. I didn't have enough time. Jim tried to speak but I stopped him. "not now. remove your armour." I said as I prepared to through. Jim nodded numbly and removed the amulet before I grabbed him and flapped my wings. to my surprise, they began to lift me up slowly. Drawing the power of the damage I took, I felt energy rise in my legs and my wings burn brighter. Letting out a powerful leap, I burst into the air, flying up and quickly handing Jim to toby. "go, get out of here!" I shouted as Jim climbed out. Toby nodded and began to try and drag Jim away. 

"wait, what about you?!" Jim shouted from above but I focused on my target below. bular. "I'll be fine, you get out of here, I'll buy you some time." I shouted to Jim as bular charged. "no!" he bellowed sprinting at me. 

Letting myself fall, I raised my sword and swung. our swords clashed, sending sparks around us. I slammed my helmet into bular's face before striking him with the rim of my shield.

bular stumbled before laughing. "haha, good. the stalkling may have failed to kill you, boy.  but I shall finish the job." he said charging. I swung again, this time, going for his chest. but bular leapt above me and swung from above. 

using my wings, I felt myself naturally move them forward, creating a shield around me. Bular's sword slashed into the wings but they only bounced off. However, this wasn't a win. as my luck ran out and my wings faded.