Chapter nine

It was day two and she was far from happy; Gelma. The work was just too much. She had been busy the entire day doing almost all that the boss was to do since he had decided to ditch his work. Seated in her seat, fully engrossed in the task madam Nathalie had given her, she couldn't help but ponder. Why was the boss absent for work? Was it because of yesterday, did she irritate him that much? She didn't want to appear defiant. She didn't have an idea where that sudden boldness was coming from. And...madam Nathalie wasn't so sweet to her this morning. Her tone promising days of pure torture. Gelma stood up to get herself a cup of coffee and didn't notice someone standing by her table.
"Mr.Dimitri?" She was surprised.
"I don't remember introducing myself to you". He said, his hands in his pockets looking cool and collected.
"I felt it right to know all my employees and superiors". She defended. He only smiled at her, she felt strange to receive such a genuine smile from someone who barely knew her.
"Gelma...you can call me Rom. Everyone here calls me that". She nodded. "You want to guess who began calling me that way?"
She starred at him incredulously.
"I have no idea".
"Never mind". He smirked and walked out as though he wasn't there. She watched his retreating back and felt an unsettling feeling.
It was seven o'clock and time for her to go home. Well, she had to pass by the hospital. Her mom understood that she couldn't be at the hospital with her. The doctor advised to keep gadgets away from her as far as possible. Since she was working with her phone and laptop even at home, she had to avoid the hospital. That is what that sick boss devil of hers has caused. The work was overbearing.
She was packing up and didn't even realize that the time was approaching eight. You could imagine the number of files she was classifying and piling to work on while at home. When she was done, she realized that every where was quiet and deserted. She glimpsed at her wrist watch and saw the time. She was startled. Which cab would be available at this street and this time?
She continued regardless. She didn't even see the security at his usual post. Funny she thought, she felt no goosebumps or ghost pimples the exact opposite effect the emptiness should have brought. Deadpanned, she continued in her cat walking until she felt a very loud whiff of wind move past her side. She paused and observed the direction it went to. She should have walked to the exit door like what she experienced was nothing but she changed her direction, she followed her stupid instincts that failed to warn her from pursuing the supposed hallucination. Her face was neutral and her heart pace normal. Strange! She should be scared she kept wondering. She entered a certain corridor, she hardly was on the ground floor and so she didn't know where she was, but she knew where the exit door was. She stopped and starred at the door to her right in anticipation and she heard it, that sharp sound of wind behind her, before she turned about, she felt a hand grab her shoulder forcefully and at that instance, fear gripped her. She was yanked to the floor. She hastily woke up and found no one or a trace of life in the vicinity, except her cause it seemed there had been no one and she was nuts.
Her heart began beating erratically and it was going to jump out of her chest any second from now. She held unto her freaking heart, she was unable to even stand on her own. She leaned on the wall, trying to calm herself.
Gelma stood up and wobbled towards the exit door. She walked to the road and immediately, a beautiful Roll Royce pulled over.
"Gelma". She saw Mr. Dimitri and without thinking, she entered the passenger seat.
He starred at her with an expressionless face, waiting for her to pose him the obvious questions but she remained mute, starring at nothing particularly.
In a flash they were by her house, in the suburbs. She quietly came down not forgetting to say her thank you and left. Romeo starring at her leave that way clenched his fists around the steering of his car. He kicked the gas and off he was gone.