CHAPTER XI

“ The baby is the symbol of hope for the future "

STUART’S POV

After the doctor had examined Liam  , he told us that Liam is suffering from high fever and food poisoning . We went inside to look at the poor child , he was sleeping with saline connected on his body , the scene was unacceptable .

After seeing her son’s state , Pearl broke into more cry . It can be obvious because a son is always strongly attached to his mother . Pearl was crying profusely and I cannot watch her cry . It’s not like I hate her , but once I used to love her and I think that love is still there  and that is why I cannot bear Pearl’s cry .

So in order to change her mind and the situation , I asked Pearl whether she wants to go outside or not . At first Pearl resisted in going outside by leaving her son , but then agreed . I took her outside , later I came to know that she haven’t eaten  anything , so I took her to a nearest cafe in order to grab some food .

While eating , she kind of opened up to me where she shared many of her feelings . She even asked me why I wear that wrist band that was given by her . We were talking when she finally asked me a favour to come close to Liam as he crave for his dad . I agreed to do that , but later the thought of Samuel again coming back to her life hits me . When I asked about Samuel , she told that she can reject his proposal .

I don’t know for what reason , but it gave me some sort of comfort . After grabbing our foods , we again went inside the hospital .

As we went inside , a nurse came with a form on her hand . “ Sir can you fill this form ? “ she asked . “ Okay I will “ I replied and took the form . As I was going to fill the form Pearl snatched  that from me and started to fill the form . It may be because after all she is the mother and she knows her son more than I do . I noticed that Pearl has written my name in the place of father’s name on that form .

It gave a soothing in my heart , after watching my name on the form as the father’s name . 

She filled the form and handed to the nurse , suddenly she asked “ Stuart , how long will it take for my son to recover ? “ . I actually didn’t know what to answer , but I didn’t wanted to hurt her “ it will be soon “ I just said .

We were looking at Liam when slowly he opened his eyes . The first thing that he spoke was “ mommy “ . I immediately called the doctor and the doctor came and checked and told that everything is fine and it will take 2 days before they discharge Liam . 

After the doctor checked Liam , Pearl bend down to caress the little soul . She put her fingers on his cheeks and caressed them . She bend a little more and caressed Liam’s forehead and kissed on his forehead . “ You will be fine baby “ she spoke pointing to her son .

Liam’s eyes were lingering , finally it felt on me  . He looked deeply towards me, clearly indicating that he wasn’t expecting me , “ Onkle ( uncle ) you are here ? “ he asked . I was mesmerized after hearing his little voice and his pronunciation  , I did not have any clue what to tell him , I was fighting with my thoughts what to tell to the little soul  when  Pearl suddenly spoke “ Baby he is your daa ----” I cut her between by keeping a hand on her shoulder. “ At first let him be totally cured then we can tell about our relationship “ I whispered to  her .

But the little guy was curious , so in order to change the topic “ I am here to see my champ “ I spoke . I wanted to hold his body , wanting to play with him . But , I couldn’t do that as the saline tube was connected to his arm .

I came and stood beside Pearl to look at him . Pearl realized I was standing beside her , she moved back to give me some space so that I can also meet with the little soul .

I caressed his body and smiled at him “ hey champ , get well soon . You are a fighter . Get well soon and we will again play on that swing “ I spoke .

Liam looked down on the wrist band on my hand  that her mother has gifted me long ago . I followed his gaze and looked down . I chuckled a bit and again caressed him .

“ Hey kid , how are you feeling now ? “ a loud noise echoed inside of the room . I turned and only to find my friend Ashton Harmer was standing at the door  . Pearl’s expression morphed into a questioning look as she saw the unknown guy , actually she don’t know him .

Ashton came and stood beside Liam , Pearl was going to ask me about the person when I spoke “ Pearl , this is my friend Ashton Harmer , he owns this hospital and I called him this late and he arranged everything for us  “ .

Pearl’s gaze lingered between me and Ashton , finally she spoke “ thank you “ . “ No , it’s not an issue . Sorry to say , I cannot recognise you “ Ashton asked . “ It’s complicated man , I will tell you later “ I spoke in order to cool the situation so that Pearl will not feel any sort of uncomfortable .

“ What did the doctors said about the problem ? “ Ashton asked . “ They said he is suffering from high fever and food poisoning and it will take two days before they discharge him “ Pearl spoke . “ I see , I promise the little champ will get best treatment and can stay her until he is properly cured , moreover I will talk with the doctor so that they will treat him with utmost care “ Ashton spoke .

“ No , you don’t have to “ Pearl spoke . “ Yes , I need to . I am helping my friend . Please let me do it “ Ashton spoke with a pleading tone .

Pearl was helpless , she can’t argue any more . Moreover no one can beat Ashton in argument , he always outplays others. 

Ashton  moved a little and went towards Liam , he bent and touched his body  ,” You will be okay champ , don’t worry “ he spoke and kissed on the top of his head .

Ashton felt a little suspicious about the child so he just eyed me to follow him outside the room . I told Pearl to wait and went outside with him .

“ Yes man “ I asked . “ I am having a doubt , can you clear ? “ he asked .
“What type of doubt ? “ I asked . “ See , I am also a doctor and I can sense the little boy is somewhat connected to you , his eyes are just like you . Sorry to invade in your privacy , but can you tell me what is the relationship between you two ? “ he asked .

I knew  such type of questions were coming , but I was not ready on how to answer such type of questions .  I knew I have to answer those questions sooner or later .

“ See man I don’t know how to express but I will try  . You know about my past . The girl whom I loved is Pearl . She claims that the little kid is my son  . She was 3 weeks pregnant with my child when that horrible incident took part with me . We were apart but she carried my child as a symbol of our love and later delivered that child “ I spoke and a trace of tear formed on my eyes .

Ashton came forward and tapped my shoulder “ sorry , I shouldn’t have asked that but anyways your choice is good . And about the confirmation , we can have a DNA test of that kid to confirm “ he spoke with a smirk  . “ Thanks man “ I replied .

“ I need to go now to talk with the doctors “ he spoke and went away .

I decided to call Dee and tell her about all this . I called her .

“ Hey brother , how is the kid ? where are you ? when you are returning  ? “ she flooded with lot of questions . “ Cool Dee !!! I will answer all of it , before that let me take a breath “ I chuckled .

“ The kid is fine , I am in Ashton’s hospital and I will return late , please manage the shop for today “ I spoke and told her all that happened in briefly .

“ Poor little soul , take care brother “ she replied with a sad tone and hung up the call .

************************************************************************************