Chapter 48: Village of Möjorhn (III).

Elizabeth's POV

We didn't make any other stops, telling Sir Tobias and Scholar Misha to head over to the lord's estate.

"Thank you all for escorting me." I thank the elite guards and Victoria. "Seeing the condition of my people today, I'm glad you were all here to accompany me."

I said nothing more and took a last glance at the village before getting inside the carriage.

"To the lord's estate." I instructed and everyone went to grab their horses, riding them and off we went to the lord of this province's estate.

"Hyah! Go on." The carriage went off and I decided to ask more about the current condition of the kingdom from Misha.

I know he's mostly living in the castle but often he comes back to his own hometown- I want to ask him if his home condition is the same as Victoria's.

"Scholar Misha, tell me is your home in the same condition as this?" I asked him and he looked at me confused, holding the paper scroll I gave to him.

"To answer your highness, I would say this is every village now." (Scholar Misha) didn't bother sugarcoating the truth. "You know the demon-human war that has been started by your father. The funds at first were pretty good but not until he suddenly took so many losses. Many abandoned their posts, the cost of the military, the harsh winter damaging the crops back then- and the death tolls was just too much."

"Your father had a lot of debt to the other allied kingdoms. It doesn't help but he established a new law that women are not allowed to work."

"Hmph." I crossed my arms and grit my teeth. I know what he'll be doing with that problem. "So he started a war without much of a back up plan financially- now my people suffer under his rule. Sooner or later he'll use me as a way of paying those debts."

"Indeed, your highness. You're already at that age where young ladies such as yourself are old enough to be engaged- but let's be honest. The arranged marriage system here has no limit on age." (Scholar Misha) reminded me of how this medieval magic world works.

Running on such an old way of thinking, it could break and hurt many people- getting in a loveless non consensual marriage is someone no one has to experience.

Anyone can get engaged at any age, whether it be an infant to an old man. The reason is because their parents have already decided that path for them.

"Remind me when I'm empress- or as soon as possible-! I need to abolish that bill. Make it illegal to arrange your child's future to be binded in marriage without much of their consent." I tell him and the scholar smiles agreeing with my proposed bill.

"It won't be easy with how the nobility works, your highness but if you're that determined I shall lend you a hand on everything I know."

I thanked him for his server and loyalty to me, Scholar Misha is a good trustworthy ally as well as friend. "Thank you, see to that if you have any concerns as well I will lend an aid- I want to help your home too from the situation now it just hurts me seeing everything like this."

I look outside the carriage eyeing the city, looking happy yet so empty at the same time.

"You... are certainly not like them. It was worth giving you my service, your highness." (Scholar Misha) laughs, clapping. I tilt my head in confusion hearing that same phrase from the baker.

"Weird you're not the only one who said that today." I held my chin, were they telling me how I'm not like the other nobles around here. "I suppose if you think about it, I am."

"You're too understanding of us commoners, it's refreshing to see. I really thought you were like the other noble kids I taught before- rude and demanding." He sticks out in disgust, not having a good memory with other noble children. "Glad I took up on this job offer when given the opportunity."