Chapter 27: Victoria's Rage (II).

Victoria's POV

I'm supposed to be preparing the princess for her father's return. I announced and gave the letter to Sir Lincoln, one of the only people I trust in the council to spread the news about the king's return in a few days.

Everyone was in a frenzy right after.

Emperor Alastor Izden Nevemayr is coming back home to rule his kingdom once more, perhaps permanently repairing the damage of war that has affected most of the villages outside.

"Yawn... good morning to you hon." I went through my bedside table and held a worn photo of my lover. The ink used to have drawn her was leaving faint but I could still remember her lovely features.

"Mary, I'll be home soon. Just a bit more... I'll be coming home to visit."

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"?"

Right after waking up, a visitor at this hour. Could it be my maid neighbors giving me snacks again?
...

I was wrong.

"Miss Victoria Crumwell, tell me. Do you have any reason why the king would only give you a message that he'll be coming back." (Count Nikolai) suddenly ordered a few guards to knock onto my servant room, accusing me of being favored by the king.

Which I was.

I observed the council room, seeing that Council Nikolai and his little lackeys were only present. Sir Lincoln must not have been informed of his little act of force and abuse of power towards me.

Calling me out without proper request.

"It's because I was once his right hand woman that took governance in some of our military tactics that may I remind you have run successfully. I was given trust over his daughter, to keep her safe-" The princess' smiling face ran through my mind, I kept my whole years isolating myself into this castle, always by her side.

Did he think it was easy?

"That's not enough reason-! It must be because you're not telling us the whole story!" (Count Nikolai)

He didn't even let me finish, deep inside I was frustrated wanting to teach him some manners on letting someone finish their sentence.

I visibly rolled my eyes, his other lackeys watching every move that I made. I mustn't do anything that could bring harm to me. I need to access things calmly but he's making it hard for me to control much of my emotion.

"I am, Count Nikolai, perhaps you just wanted to hear something that's pleasing to your ears. I sense that you're jealous, how is being at the top now?"

"How am I at the top? You're one to talk! You could've been here with me if you only followed orders! Do you know why we lost this war?! You weren't there to fight!" He yells out and every other council member covers their mouths in shock.

A man doing a little tantrum towards such a measly thing. I gave the council the letter I have received but they dare hold me for being more favored.

It is not my fault the king trusts me more than his own council.

"I am fighting my own battles here. I've grown tired of war. I am following another set of orders given to me by the-"

Once again he didn't let me finish my words.

"No, you Victoria Crumwell was one of the best soldiers the whole country has ever seen. The whole kingdom shivered in fear when they heard your name being whispered in the streets." I looked away, knowing how huge my reputation was when I was still General Crumwell, the king's right handed woman when it came to govern his military personnel.

I could hear him sighing, then slumping onto his seat.

"One of the best generals that saved hundreds if not thousands in the century is playing- house maid." (Count Nikolai) was trying to get a rise out of me, it wasn't working. "How low have you gone, Victoria? I respected and admired you but this is all you turned out to be."

He chuckled in disappointment looking over at my figure that didn't care at all. His words no longer had any effect on me, this is the path I chose. Caring for the princess was not a mistake and I would choose this path all over again if I had the chance.