Chapter 43: Hidden Archive (IV).

Elizabeth's POV

The emperor reveals himself where he was hiding, I grit my teeth and glared at him not finding out his presence sooner.

Not him! How long was he hiding in the shadows?!

Victoria wasn't one to hurt her friends-

And if I use my ice magic he'll know what we were up to at this time of night.

"I asked if you found what you're looking for." He raises his hand, chanting something and soon several floating ice spikes surround him. "To think I was just going to my study because I forgot my favorite fountain pen-"

Victoria signaled towards the door and I was about to open it but the door knob was suddenly covered in ice.

"I wasn't expecting to catch a couple of rats looking for crumbs."

"Hah... hah..." The private study was soon covered in ice too.

I wanted to ask Victoria what to do next since the door as an exit was hopeless!

We tried not speaking so the Emperor won't recognize us from our voices, I'm so glad I'm wearing a mask and wig.

There was only one way out now, even if the glass window was covered in ice that was at least easy to break.

The only problem is- the emperor is standing on our only safe escape route.

"You'll be tortured and interrogated after I capture you two, barely alive." He laughs coldly, throwing another set of ice spikes into our direction.

Thud! Crash!

We rolled and dodged everything he threw at us- it hit the walls, the shelf, and a vase.

"...!" Due to me being inexperienced one of them got my cloak and I was forced to tear it off and ran around the icy floor.

Don't slip...!

"Grrr." (Victoria) wasn't happy now seeing the potential of me getting hurt, she placed a hand on the floor and summoned her earth magic creating vibrations that broke off the ice on the floor.

Crack! Crack!

"...!" My maid held my hand, as we ran over to the window with quick speed.

Oh shit-!

Victoria had to use her body, running down to tackle the window breaking it, the loud noise of glass being destroyed could be heard.

Crash!

I could feel her arms wrapping around me- hugging me protectively as one of her hands covered both my eyes so the glass shards wouldn't get in.