Chapter 97: Sorry

It's been a few hours since mine and Maya's argument. I've calmed down now, and I've taken time to reflect on the situation. I'm still annoyed, but now I feel bad for going off at Maya like that. I shouldn't have gotten so mad, but I was really worried. I think she's upstairs in the bedroom, but I'm not sure. She might even be out in the studio, but I think I'll leave things be for a bit longer.

I'm sitting in the living room with the TV on, but I'm not paying any attention to it. I keep zoning out thinking about our argument. I know that's her mom at the end of the day, and maybe she wanted to get some kind of closure, but I didn't like that she lied to me and put herself at risk like that. I know she's mad and upset, but she has to see it from my point of view as well. I don't even know if that woman actually turned out to be her mom. I was too mad to ask, but I'm assuming it was.

I take a deep breath and rest my elbow on the arm rest, supporting my face with my hand. Some time passes, and from the corner of my eye, I see Maya slowly walk in. I look over at her and meet her sad eyes. She gingerly walks over to me, and neither of us say anything at first.

"I'm sorry." She said softly, trying her best not to cry.

I stare up at her, but she doesn't hold my gaze for long. She looks so sad. How can I stay mad at her? All I want to do is hug her tightly.

"Me too." I said as I held out my hand.

She puts her small hand in mine, and I gently pull her onto my lap. She wraps her arms around my neck, and I wrap mine around her waist. We hold and hug each other tightly. I lean back and stroke my hand through her hair before kissing her lips.

"I'm sorry for shouting at you, I was just worried." I frown, staring into her glossy eyes.

She shakes her head.

"You had every right to be angry. If I were you, I would've been pissed off, too. I shouldn't have made you worry and go behind your back like that."

I sigh and stroke her hair, giving her another kiss.

"And I'm sorry for making you look stupid in front of Wes. I didn't know he would come round here."

"It's fine..." I shake my head. "That's the least of my worries." I trace my eyes down her body and rest my hand on her stomach, rubbing her gently. "How are you feeling now?"

"I haven't had any more pains." She sniffs.

"Good." I nod.

"I feel exhausted, though."

"You've had a long day."

"Mmm." She hums, looking down.

"You must be hungry?"

"Yeah, a little bit."

"Come on. I'll make us something." I said, gently patting her thigh.

She shows a sad smile, and I kiss her cheek. She follows me into the kitchen, and I make us something quick and easy. We sit opposite each other at the kitchen table and eat in silence for a few minutes.

"Did that woman turn out to be your mom?" I ask, breaking the silence.

Maya nods slowly.

"Yeah..."

"What happened?"

She finished a mouthful of food before answering me.

"I asked the receptionist if Patricia Carlson worked there, but she said no. I thought that was it, and the woman I saw the other week wasn't my mom after all. As I was about to leave, I started to get some pain, and that's when my mom appeared. She actually came over to me to make sure I was ok... she waited with me until I was seen by the sonographer, and she came into the room with me, too. But only because I asked her to... I'm not really sure why I asked her. I guess I was scared, and I didn't want to be on my own. I thought I was having a miscarriage or something."