Chapter 78: You're All I Need to Get By

Michael's been busy packing all morning and loading up the van. He's told me off a few times for wanting to help, telling me to rest, but I can't help it. I want to help him. I feel useless just sitting around and doing nothing, and I feel guilty too. We're moving to our new home and I can't do a thing because he's worried that I might hurt and exhaust myself. Moving out should be a special moment for us, which it is and I'm excited, but this memory will remind me of the cancer and the fact that I was too sick to help us move into our forever home. I wish it didn't have to be like this.

I pack some books and vinyl records up in the living room, and just as I lift the box up, Michael walks in and catches me.

"Maya, how many times do I have to tell you?" He frowns and takes the box from me.

"Michael, I'm fine." I sigh.

He opens the box to check what's in it.

"You shouldn't be lifting heavy things."

"It's not heavy. I know what I can and can't lift. I know my limits, and I want to help."

"Yeah, and you can help, but pack lighter things."

"But, there isn't-"

"Just relax. I've got it all under control, and Wes will be here any minute now. I know you want to help, but you need to take it easy. Stop being so stubborn for once."

I give him a look and he smirks.

"You could help by making some drinks?"

"Drinks?" I scoff. "I'm not a-" Just as I'm about to protest, I get interrupted by a knock on the front door.

"I won't tell you again." He said sternly as he raised his eyebrows. "Slow down."

I sigh and roll my eyes.

"Fine." I said reluctantly.

He smiles and kisses my forehead before walking off to answer the door.

"I guess I'll go make some drinks like a good girl." I mumble to myself as I walk off to the kitchen.

I take a few glasses from the cupboard and take out the lemonade from the fridge. I close the fridge door and jump when I see Amy suddenly appear out of no where. She's holding a bunch of flowers and a small gift bag.

"Hey." I raise my eyebrows.

She shows a warm smile and quickly comes to give me a big hug. It's really good to see her again.

"How are you?" She sounds emotional as she squeezes me gently and pulls back to look at me.

She's smiling, but her eyes are watery.

"I'm getting there." I nod, showing a little smile.

I'm feeling emotional now too... I clear my throat and look down at her bump.

"Your bump has grown so much since the last time I saw you." I widen my eyes and laugh softly.

"Yeah." She chuckles, giving her bump a little rub. "It's been too long. We last saw each other at my wedding." She frowns.

"I know... but it's really good to see you again."

"It's really good to see you too. I've missed you, girl. I hope you don't mind me being here? Wesley said he was helping you and Michael, and I thought you might want some company."

"No, I don't mind at all. It's a nice surprise."

"I'm due any day now, and Wesley is worried about leaving my side incase I go in to labour. He wants me with him all the time." She rolls her eyes and chuckles. "I'm not going to be much help because I can hardly move, but I wanted to see you. I'm pretty much on bed rest too."