Chapter 19: Long Time No Talk

9 MONTHS LATER

"I've always felt different growing up. I was the girl who was always the biggest and tallest in my class. I had a group of friends, but I was the one who would be forgotten about. No one really cared about me. I was just there... My depression started when I was 14. My Mom cheated on my Dad with my sisters boyfriend, and left me and my brothers to go live with him. She almost went to jail for stabbing my sister in the head with a broken bottle, but she got community service instead. I saw them fight a lot throughout my childhood... physical fights. I have a lot of stories about my Mom, but I'd be here all day. You haven't even heard the half of it. She has a problem with alcohol too. When I was little she used to hide empty bottles of wine from my Dad in my bedroom and in cupboards. There's a lot of things that contribute to how I'm feeling today and why I'm here, but having a shit Mom is the main reason."

"Thank you for sharing your story with the group, Lizzie." I say softly. "And I'd like to thank everyone again for your contribution today." I smile and look around the room at the patients. "There's a wide range of experiences each of you have been through and are still going through. It isn't easy opening up about your personal experiences, but doing so could help someone else in the room find something they can relate to. If there's something you can relate to, it tells you something about yourself, and then you begin to ask yourself why am I relating to this? Why is this bringing out an emotion in me? In doing so, you can support each other because it shows you're not alone with the things that you're feeling. Showing empathy and compassion is important for your overall wellbeing and recovery. You've all done really well today, so I think we'll leave it there and I'll let you have some free time." I smile.

The patients leave and I tidy away the chairs before making my way to the common room.

"Hi Michael." Angie smiles as she sits next to me with a colouring book.

"Hey." I smile.

"I really liked group therapy today. Thanks for a great session."

"I'm glad you liked it. I noticed you wasn't so quiet today and participated more, which is really good."

"Yeah, I hated it at first, but I feel more comfortable now. I've realised how much it helps to try and relate to people and form connections."

"Many people have felt the same way as you and group therapy isn't always for everyone, but That's great, Angie. I'm sure your confidence will build even more over time."

"I hope so." She nods and looks down at her colouring book as she picks up a pen.

She's colouring in a picture of birds...

I show a little smile, and leave Angie to check on the other patients.

****

"I've got a surprise for you tonight." Wes smirks before sipping back his beer.

"Oh, no." I sigh. "What kind of surprise?"

"Now, what kind of surprise would a surprise be, if I told you the surprise?"

I lower my eyebrows and laugh.

"You better not be taking me to a strip club again."

"Hey, you loved the strippers just as much as me, so don't be giving me that bullshit." He chuckles.

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"You know that girl I'm seeing?"

"You have a new girl every week, so no, I don't know."

"You know." He rolls his eyes. "Molly."

"Oh, yeah. What about her?"

"You'll get to meet her tonight."