Chapter 49: Romeo and Juliet

🕊3 MONTHS LATER🕊

Keeping my breath steady, I pushed harder and went faster. Adrenaline coursed through my veins and pumped around my body. The more I thrust forward, the more sweat drips down my face. A thin layer covers the nape of my neck, and eventually drips down my chest which absorbs into my t-shirt. My heart is pouding so fast that I may have to stop for a second to catch my breath, but I continue to push my muscles harder before I decide to slow down.

"Come on, Rocky! Keep up!" Wes shouts as he looks back at me.

Wes has teased me by calling me Rocky Balboa ever since he found out about me beating up Toby. It's been months since that all happened, but he still finds it amusing.

I've pushed myself too hard and now I'm gasping for air. My feet stomp and my legs feel weak as I start to slow down. Wes isn't that far ahead of me, but he stops when he sees me change to a walking pace.

"Eeey, come on now, you're supposed to be the Italian stallion."

I breathe heavy and give him a look as I catch up to him.

"I'm not Italian."

"Alright, just a stallion then." He chuckles and takes a few sips from his water bottle.

"I just need a minute." I shake my head and take deep breaths, trying to slow my heart rate down.

My phone pings and I take it out of my pocket to check the notification. Maya has text me.

Whatcha up to? 😊

"That your girl?" Wes smirks.

I give him the side eye and smile.

"It's Maya."

"Could've just said yes."

"She isn't my girl."

"Y'all pretty much act like a couple, though. Aren't you and her going on a date later?"

"We're going to an art gallery, but it's not a-"

"What is it then?"

"You know how me and you do stuff together? It's exactly the same."

"It ain't the same and you know that." He gives me a look and laughs. "You need to make a move before it's too late again."

"What do you mean?" I lower my eyebrows.

"You need to speed things up! She's been back in your life for months now and you're still in the friendzone. I thought you both liked each other?"

"We do..."

"Then what's the problem? What if she flakes out and runs away again, what will you-"

"Don't, Wes." I give him a look. "Don't say it like that, and she won't leave again. She was in a bad place back then... things are different now. I don't want to rush things because I'm trying to help her get better. You know she struggles with mental health. What I want doesn't matter right now, I just want her to be in a good place again."