Chapter 38: Broken Heart Syndrome

I did everything the doctor told me to do, and finally after two weeks I've started to feel slightly better. My sleeping has improved and I've even started going to the gym with Wes which has also helped a lot with how I've been feeling. Burning off some steam is probably what I needed, but it's taken me all this time to finally do something about it.

I stay focused and zone out, staring at the red punching bag as my boxing gloves strike it. I go hard and fast, throwing hooks and uppercut punches. My hair is damp and sweat runs down my face with how serious and hard I'm going. I breathe out sharply and make a hissing noise through my clenched teeth, striking the punching bag so hard the noise echoes around the room.

Wes has been holding onto the punching bag and rambling on about something this whole time, but I've taken no notice. I'm too zoned out to listen to him, and I'm pretty sure what he's saying is nothing important anyway. He's probably talking about Amy, again.

"Damn, Mike!"

I ignore him and continue with my strikes.

"You're getting better at this, but chill, bro." He laughs.

Again, I pay no attention and stay in my zone.

"Mike!" He raises his voice and pulls the punching bag away from me.

"What?!" I breathe heavily and wipe the sweat away from my forehead with my arm.

"What did the punching bag do to you?" He raises his eyebrows and chuckles.

My chest moves rapidly and I hold my hands up so Wes can pull the gloves off for me. I grab my bottle of water and gulp it down.

"You alright?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I breathe out and pick up a towel to wipe my face.

"So, what do you say about this weekend?"

"What about it?" I lower my eyebrows.

"You didn't listen to a word I just said, did you?"

"Yeah... something about this weekend?"

He gives me a look and shakes his head, letting out a soft laugh.

"A double date. Me, Amy, you, and Monique."

"Uh..." I try thinking of what me and Mon are doing at the weekend. I swear we're supposed to be doing something.

"We could go for a meal and have some drinks on Saturday. We haven't done that in a while-"

"I think there's somethin Mon wants us to do..." I make a face and suddenly remember. "Oh, yeah. A party. It's her friends birthday or something."

"A party and you didn't invite me?!"

"It's not my party!"

He rolls his eyes and picks up his water bottle.

"We'll do it next weekend or something?" I shrug.

"Or you could ditch Monique's friends party and come be a third wheel with me and Amy?"

"And watch you two eat each others face all evening? No, thanks."

"Surely that's better than being surrounded by a load of people you don't know?"

"I don't think so." I laugh. "And I know some of her friends."

"Right..." He makes a face and drapes a towel around his neck. "We done in here? I want to get an iced coffee."

I give him a look and laugh.

"What?!"

"Amy's changed you. I never thought I'd see the day, that's all."

"Just because I like iced coffee now? It's nice! Nothing wrong with that. It's just coffee, but cold..."

Never Let Goजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें