Chapter 45

*

*

"Fuck this." He curses, rubbing his face in frustration.

He sat on the floor, trying to put together the crib for the hundredth time. "This makes no sense." Billy claims, laying down on his back in defeat, watching Ada continue to paint the walls the warm cream color. "Well you shouldn't have procrastinated on this, you could've had it done a month ago." She tsks, stains on her overalls.

"I don't wanna hear it from you, smart ass, you put off painting till the last second." He argues.

The nursery was the one room in the house they had yet to put together, despite it being the most beautiful. The arched window casted warm light in despite it being chilly outside, the big space was perfect for room to grow. They didn't have too much to show that there was gonna be a baby living there, but she figured it would be fine since the elaborate baby shower Liv had planned was approaching.

Lots of people were coming, friends, family from Hawkins, Olivia Hastings made sure it was perfect.

"Come here." Billy beckons as she finishes the wall, making her smile and come to his side. Laying down, they stair at the stars that were already painted on the ceiling for the children before them. "Are you scared?" Ada asks him.

"A little bit...but not as much as I used to be." Billy answers in truth. "Are you?"

She takes a moment. "No, actually. I think it's gonna be okay."

Turning their heads to look at each other, a content smile grows on their faces. "Billy." She says.

"Hmm?"

"Finish the crib."

With a groan he sits up, going to attempt it again. But before he gets too far into it, she calls for him once more. "Billy, I can't get up."

"Oh, shit, sorry." He goes back, taking her hands and pulling her up.

~~

As soon as Liv and Steve arrived, they hit the ground running in preparation for things.

Puffs the cat had ran and hid somewhere Ada could not find over the course of a couple days, obviously too afraid of all the people that were arriving to celebrate.

They opened presents and laughed, for once everyone was happy all at one time, with no quarrels or complaints.

Nancy and Jonathan obsessed over the house, distracting Ada from the rest of the group. As Billy walked to the kitchen to get another beer, he peered out the window to catch a glimpse of the woman that stood out front.

Lilian looked sad, like she knew she messed it all up.

With a sigh, Billy slipped from the party, going out to meet his mom. "Smart of you to not come to the door, Ada might've kicked your ass." He half jokes.