Chapter 7

Ada sits on the counter as Dustin clears everything from the fridge, dumping it onto the floor to make room for the demo-dog wrapped in a blanket in Steve's arms

"Alright. It should fit now."

"Is this really necessary?" The older teen boy asks.

"Yes it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking, scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog." The boy argues, making him cave and start to shove the the creature into the fridge. Ada laughs as the two struggle, just putting another cracker in her mouth and not bothering to help what so ever.

They're job was to wait.

Wait on the sidelines as the rest go out to save the world, well, more like save Hawkins.

She was tired yes, but she doesn't think that she could sleep even if she tried. Yet, the time kept getting later and later.

Mike continues to worry, pacing and stressing about the girl he is so obviously in love with. He had to do something, he couldn't let Eleven fight this all on her own. He lost her once, and he wasn't about to lose her again. That's why he tries to come up with his own plan, a plan Steve quickly shuts down.

"Listen dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Steve explains, wiping his slimy hands on a dish towel, but Mike won't except it. "Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench."

Steve stammers, "So my point is..."

"Yeah, Steve, what is your point?" Ada asks, spinning on the counter to face the group. The kids look to him expectantly, but yet, he's got nothing. " Right, yeah, we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do."

"That's not entirely true." Dustin says, beginning to explain how the hive mind works. "We can try and clear a path! We can help El from here." Mike states.

"Yeah, and then we all die!" Steve adds dramatically making Ada frown. "You act like that's a big deal now, might I remind you that we've almost died today at least five times?"

"She has a point, Steve." Says Dustin.

As Mike goes to stand at the hub of the hive that was colored on paper, the rest follow, letting him explain that if they set fire to it, it'll distract the dogs long enough for El to close the gate without harm. Steve protests of course but Ada just shushes him, paying attention to the plan they start to hatch.

"Hey. Hey! Hey!" He claps, gathering their attention. "This is not happening."

She stifles a laugh, watching him stand with his hands on his hips and the towel over his shoulder, scolding the kids like some kind of mother.

"Listen, I promised I'd keep you shitheads safe, and that's exactly what I plan on. We are staying here. On the bench. And we're waiting for the starting team to do their job. Does everybody understand?"