Chapter 42

*

*

"Billy, wait."

He slams the car door shut and is already walking into the building, ignoring her and continuing up the stairs.

"Billy, please!" She's sure the neighbors were probably listening close, thinking to themselves 'poor kids, they have no clue what they're doing.'

The cat runs and hides as soon as he throws open the door, stomping into the apartment in an upset anger.

"Can we please not do this today?" Ada whines, slamming the door shut behind her as she comes in. He stops, back turned to her as he pulls his jacket off and throws it onto the table. This makes her slowly approach, hand gently laying on his shoulder. "You heard him, Ada, this all could go bad." He sighs, not shrugging her away.

"It could, or it couldn't. We don't know yet."

Maybe it was wishful thinking, maybe she was coming to terms with it, or maybe she was just trying to ease his mind.

Chewing his tongue, Billy shakes his head, then turns to look directly at her. "This is gonna be too hard on you, even if that stuck up doctor says it'll be okay...so don't doubt me when I say that you are the only thing I care about. If there is ever a choice that needs to be made, if this thing is gonna put your life at risk, I'm only saving you. I'm choosing your health because it doesn't matter if the kid is my own blood, if it hurts you, I don't want it. I don't want something that's gonna possibly take you away from me."

She doesn't realize that she's crying until his hands reach towards her face, thumbs wiping the tears away. "Don't think of the worst case scenario, please. I'm scared enough, don't make it worse." Ada states softly.

Was this their life now? Worrying about a thing most couples celebrated?

The hardwood floor they stood on creaks as he pulls her to the sofa, having her sit across his lap. It was funny how things change. How once before, Ada wouldn't be caught dead showing vulnerability and affection like this, now she was burying her face between his collar and jaw, unashamed of the warmth she was receiving. And the scent of him did calm her a touch, but Billy still felt her sadness as it soaked into his shirt.

"How are we supposed to do this?" He asks, the unsettling sensation in his stomach growing. "I'm not cut out for this kind of thing, Ada."

"I know." Her voice was small, not looking at him at all, just sitting there in a silence filled with fear and uncertainty.

~~

As the sun set on yet another day, Ada did the thing she did best.

Sleep.

She was tired a lot more often now, she hoped that was a normal thing given her condition and the fact that she still worked her three jobs. Her low energy was yet another reason she opted out of meeting up at The Hanger, a hang out spot the group tended to go to.