Chapter 23

Sitting on the floor of Steve's living room after she's celebrated at home with her family, Ada opens the few presents from her friends

Sitting on the floor of Steve's living room after she's celebrated at home with her family, Ada opens the few presents from her friends. She had hoped it wouldn't be awkward, with Nancy, Jonny, and Steve all in the same place, but for her they put any awkwardness aside. Jonathan was practically recording the entire night, even now, getting up close as she pulls the pink tissue paper from the big bag Liv had given her.

"Liv, your present is like two times bigger than all of ours." Nancy complained.

"Well, I only get the best for my girl."

Ada's eyes widened as she started to pull clothes out. Silk pajamas and tops that looked expensive and lace lingerie she kept in the bag. The last things were a pair of bellbottom pants and a familiar red leather top. "Livey..."

"It always looked better on you anyway."

The blonde topples over as the girl tackles her in a hug. "Thank you."

Soon enough they're laughing, drinking cheap booze and dancing outside around the pool that was lit up in a glow. As Ada sets her cup down, Steve comes up from behind her, making her scream as he picks her up. "Wait wait, Steve!"

Liv is just as guilty, as she pushes them further to the edge. "No! Nancy, help!" But the girl she calls out for, is stuck in a daze, watching in a whirl of deja vu.

This was the pool.

It's where she was so caught up in Steve Harrington, that her best friend was killed. And it used to be her, the one Steve goofed around with like he does now with Ada. How could that be? That everything has changed, that everything was different now?

"Please! Steve, I'm still in my clothes, at least let me change, Steve! No!" No matter how urgent she pleads, she too laughs and the boy still tosses her into the pool with a splash. Liv joins her after she surfaces, pulling her dress off to reveal the white one piece she wore under it.

Even her simple swim suit was luxurious.

Ada pushes herself from the pool, sopping wet with glittery eyeshadow smeared against her eyes. "Steve Harrington, you are mean." Is what she seethes. "And I don't care if I get your carpet wet!"

"Oh, I'm so scared!" He jokes back, pulling his shirt off and diving into the water.

As Ada heads up to Steve's bedroom to change, she interrupts what appears to be a deep conversation between her best friend and the boy who soothes her. She stops before she enters, listening to the discussion they have in a low tone.

"It's like she forgot about Barb." Nancy stresses, and that's when it hits Ada. She suggested they have a small party at Steve's and blanked on just what had happened here over a year ago. "Nancy, she's so happy, I'm sure she hasn't forgotten about her, she probably just realized that Barb would have wanted her to have fun. You have to let her go, we got justice for her, she's at peace now. And I'm sure Ada meant no harm, her and Steve are close, of course he'd host her party." Jonathan states as the voice of reason.