Chapter 5

*

*

They drive in silence for awhile after Dustin explained the whole situation of some...thing.

Finally Steve asks, "Wait a sec. How big?" And Dustin holds his fingers out, creating a space between them. "First it was like that." Then he moves them a significantly larger space apart. "Now he's like this."

"Holy shit." Ada exclaims, a horrified look on her face. "I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" Steve tries to brush it off but the won't except it. "It's not a lizard!"

"How do you know?"

"Steve why can't you just believe him?" She joins in, looking to see Dustin leaning in the space between them from the backseat. "Because it sounds bogus. How do you know it's not a lizard?"

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat."

Their eyes go wide and the car goes silent again, just trying to figure out what to say. She's seen a lot of things, but never a cat eating lizard. "Like...a demogorgon?"

Dustin nods his head and she lets her head fall back against the head rest. "What the hell have you gotten me into, Henderson?"

As they pull into the drive and shuffle out of Steve's car, he pops the trunk, tossing the keys to Ada as he leans down to pick up the bat.

Flashlights in hand, they cautiously make their way to the cellar, seeing how it was chained and locked. "I don't hear shit." Steve exclaims but Dustin just corrects him, saying that's where it is. The girl rolls her eyes, watching Steve poke the doors with the studded bat, nervously licking his lips before hitting it harder. "Steve! What do you think that's gonna do?" She snaps, not liking the loud noise, but he just shushes her, turning to shine the light right into Dustin's face. "Alright listen kid, I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank...you're dead."

"It's not a prank. Get it out of my face." He squints from the harsh light. "You got a key for this thing Dusty?" Ada asks kindly, pushing Steve's light away.

As Steve opens up the heavy doors, they crouch beside him, looking down into the dark abyss. "He must be further down there." The boy says, not seeing him in the glow of the flashlight. "I'll stay up here in case he tries to...escape."

The teens give him an annoyed look before sighing, starting to creep down the steps. Ada stands closely behind Steve as they walk in, her hand gripping onto his jacket. "This is so stupid." She says in a quiet sigh.

As they walk forward, her head hits something dangling from the ceiling and she gasps, making Steve turn around. "What? What is it?" He panics.

She reaches up, pulling the cord for the bulb light until it illuminates the space. The boy gives her a look of disappointment before turning away, noticing the thing laying on the ground. He picks it up with his bat, eyeing it in disgust.