Chapter 1

She awoke to the pillows askew, the comforter pulled away and wrapped tightly around the Wheeler girl next to her instead

"Nance." She tries to push her awake but she barely budges. "Nancy. School. Get up."

This time Nancy stirs, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. They were up practically all night studying for the English test that would be happening the next morning, passing out sometime between twelve and two.

Ada Sommers loved pulling all nighters, but studying? That was not one of the things she enjoyed while doing it. She cared about her grades, sure, but she wasn't the 'studying' type, that was more Nancy's thing you could say. When a test came around, she usually just felt good enough about it that she would pass...except for the last English test where she failed with a solid sixty eight.

But besides that, she did just fine on her own but Nancy Wheeler, being the best friend that she was, swore that from that moment on, they'd study the night before every test to guarantee a good grade.

Maybe she just cared about grades too much or maybe it was because she didn't want to see Ada on house arrest again because of her shitty step dad.

Her feet hit the carpet of Nancy's bedroom floor, stretching in just her underwear and a t shirt. Steve was going to be there to pick them up at exactly seven thirty, they had to get moving or they just might be stranded.

Her long brown hair falls in her face as she gathers her clean clothes. The weather was only getting colder, the leaves that started to fall were shades of red and orange and the air was crisp in her lungs.

She was in love with fall.

Jumping into a pair of high waisted blue jeans and cinching them down with a belt, she pulls her big jean jacket over her turtleneck.

"Let me use your mascara, mine broke." Nancy states as they lean over the bathroom counter to get closer to the mirror. Ada only hands it over to her and continues to mess with her hair.

"Son of a bitch."

Their eyes drift over to Mike as he stands looking at them in the doorway.

"Good morning Michael." Ada smiles at him, scrunching her nose playfully as he rolls his eyes. "You do have a house, Ada, you don't always have to be at ours."

"Mike stop being annoying and go away." Nancy sighs, swiping blush over her cheeks.

The boy frowns, looking from his sister to the other girl who childishly sticks her tongue out at him while Nancy wasn't looking. He breathes in angrily and glares, making her silently chuckle.

Mike was never fond of his sister's best friend, never liked the way she was always around, playfully teasing.

As the girls trail down the stairs, bags on their shoulders, they wander into the kitchen where the rest of the family was.