Chapter 10

The thing with winter break, is that you have no responsibilities

No class assignments due, no grades that need to be maintained. Just the snow and Christmas lights.

Nancy was at Jonathan's, Ted and Karen at a Holliday party for his work, Holly at her Nana's and Mike was spending the night at Dustin's with the rest of the boys. The house was completely empty for the first time in awhile.

The whole kitchen table was covered in baked goods, fudge brownies sprinkled with powdered sugar and gingerbread men with candy button eyes. She's been baking since the afternoon and now going into the night.

It was her first Christmas in years that she wasn't being told to turn her music down and she was more than enjoying herself. She has to put together baskets of all the sweets for the list of families Karen made her but just as she goes to make more frosting for her lemon shortbread, the doorbell rings.

Ada groans, rubbing her hands clean on a dishrag before hurrying to the door that keeps ringing. "Jesus, man! I'm coming!" Pulling it open, she's greeted with the smiling face of the boy who just kept coming back. "What do you want?" She asks, not in the mood for his antics.

"Hello to you too."

As she goes to shut the door on him, he pushes his hand against it to stop her. "What? Not gonna invite me in? Not very hospitable of you, and during the season of giving. Shame shame." He tsks.

"Mrs. Wheeler isn't here for you to drool over. Sorry." She gives a fake smile, giving in none the less.

Billy smirks, walking past her as she opens the door again. "You have powered sugar on your face by the way."

Ada quickly wipes her cheeks, following him into the kitchen as he looks at all the baked sweets in confusion. "Look at you being a real suburban house wife."

She shoves his shoulder, moving to continue making the frosting for the lemon cakes. "Karen asked me to help out. It's the least I could do."

"Yeah...looks like you're fitting right in."

She goes to say something next but when she turns to face him, he's already disappeared. "Billy?"

Walking out of the kitchen and into the living room, she finds him staring at the mantle and the pictures placed there. He doesn't know the extremes as to why she lives with the Wheelers now, but using the context clues, he had a pretty good idea.

They'd never discuss it sober and he knew it wasn't a topic she wanted to talk about. But he's glad she didn't, it was too much of a heavy subject that he didn't care enough about to put feeling into.

There's no fun in abuse.

He looks at the polaroid of the girls together the night of the ball, turning his nose up at it and all the family pictures. "Don't tell me they're turning you into a little priss, sweetheart."