Chapter 31

*

*

Though the rest had been able to flee, three remain, struggling to run, especially as they see Billy stumble out from his busted car.

"Shit." Mike exclaims, making them turn and retreat through the back ways they came from.

It doesn't help that he follows though, making Max stand there like a ghost as she watches her older brother limp into the hallway. "Billy." She breaths, trying to reason with him. "Billy, you don't have to do this. Billy. Your name's Billy, Billy Hargrove. You live on 4819 Cherry Lane. Billy, please , I'm Max, I'm your-" But before she can utter the word sister, his fist cuts her off, knocking her back.

Billy Hargrove wasn't there at the moment as the black veins continued to grow against his skin.

When Mike tries to step forward and defend the girls, his face is met with the brick wall instead, making his body drop limply to the ground.

Then, there was just El.

Despite her attempt to use her power, Billy slammed her head back against the wall before gathering her body, easily tossing her over his shoulder and walking on.

In front of the ice cream shop is where he lays her, gently like she's a display item. As he stands from her, his eyes dip over to the sound of shoes slowly tapping against the tile. It seems to catch the attention of the group that has come back to help.

On the second story where the rest prepare for the battle, Nancy looks down at her best friend, silently gasping at her appearance. Her soft skin was tainted by the ink that grew up her chest and neck, her white cropped shirt that hung off her shoulder was stained with sweat but she appeared calm. "I need you to trust me." She says to Jonathan beside her.

He nods, waiting for the right moment to light the fireworks.

It took everything in Steve to hold Liv back so she wouldn't run and ruin the plan, whispering into her hair. "It's okay, don't worry, Nancy's gonna save her."

Ada reached in her pocket and pulled out the cable she had stolen, throwing it carelessly to the ground beside El's head. "Figured you'd want that back." She says unbothered before lowering herself down over the scared girl. "Don't be afraid."

El whimpers as she feels her fingers push a strand of hair behind her ear. "And don't move, it's all gonna be over soon...pretty pretty girl."

The monster continues to creep in, closer and closer before the first firework is thrown towards it. As it explodes, it not only hurts the thing it's intended for, but also the two standing in watch.

Ada groans, holding her shoulder in pain. Nancy throws another before using it as a distraction to run down the stairs towards the girl who's writhing in pain, trying to stand straight.