Chapter 27

"I'm sorry I can't take you today, Holly's sunburn is just really bad

"I'm sorry I can't take you today, Holly's sunburn is just really bad. Liv can take you though, right? I would say take the station wagon but it's making that funny sound still." The woman asks her the next morning.

Ada refrained from rolling her eyes, already in an irritated mood. "Yeah she's on her way, I'll probably go over to her place tonight then. I know she's been wanting to model new looks for me."

"Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I hope you have a good day at work today and hey, don't worry to much about the whole date fiasco." Her comforting hand rubs up and down Ada's arm. "You two always get it figured out."

With a sigh, she nodded. "I know, I'm still irritated though."

"Well I would be too, any girl would. But mistakes happen, don't be so brutal on the boy."

Before responding, the front door opens and in walks the blonde. "Addy, your chauffeur has arrived." Liv announces herself.

"Yeah yeah, I'm coming." Ada rolls her eyes. "I'll see you later."

Karen kisses the top of the girls head. "Okay, I love you."

"Love you too, Mom."

~~

She climbed down from her chair as her shift came to an end, making her way to the pool house before being stopped. "Ada! Hey honey, where's Karen?" Liz, the brunette that laid out with the others asked. "Holly had a sunburn so she opted out today."

"Oh that's too bad, have her put some aloe on that poor baby." As the woman talks, Ada's gaze catches the sight of the boy she needed to have a discussion with. "Yeah, I'll do that. Would you excuse me? I just need to go talk to somebody really quick."

"Of course sweetheart."

Then she was following after him, confused as she walks into the chemical storage where he stands. "Hey, asshole." She jokes. "What happened last night? You like, totally bailed. Kinda hurt my feelings."

Her voice echos in and out of Billy's mind and he tries to register what is happening.

Ada, Ada, Ada

Her name rings in his ears and he grows afraid. A violent vision slices through him, of the way her head would look if he bashed off the metal shelf. Would it automatically kill her?

"Hey! Billy, I don't get it. Why are you ignoring me?" Her irritated voice snaps him out of it.

No.

No no no!

She can't be near him.

Turning, he faces her with distraught eyes. She stepped back at the appearance of him, how sickly he looked, but ultimately that's what made her reach for him. "What's wrong? You don't look too good." But her hands are rejected, pushed away coldly. And his voice comes out flat, no emotion attached. "Stay away from me, Ada."