Chapter 19

"Again

"Again." The woman waves her hand like she was watching something trashy, making Ada huff, starting back at the far wall.

She's been doing this for an hour and she was growing frustrated, the way Mrs. Cari dismissed every move she made, being harsher than she remembered. "You land like an elephant, Ada, you're gonna harm your body if you don't figure it out. Now on that fourth jeté, you need to start it faster so you have time when you land. If you want to be the leader in this class, you need to feel these patterns in your bones. You are only moving, meaninglessly."

"I feel it, Cari, I'm the one straining to do it!" She snaps, wiping her eyebrow.

As she begins again, turns after turns, the woman watches closely. "Stop stop stop. You are in your head, whatever you are thinking about isn't important like this is. Do you want those girls to watch you make a mockery of yourself because you can't smooth your landings?"

The woman wasn't being mean, she knew exactly what buttons to push in order for her to get it.

"Again."

At every fault, every missed step and wrong pirouette, the woman catches it, making subtle remarks that only makes Ada more angry.

"Our spring recital will be full of on lookers, Adaline, an audience who will be watching you. You think they won't catch you cutting corners?"

"Yeah well cutting corners makes it smoother." She argues, her bangs wet against her forehead in sweat. "No, the dance is smooth enough if it's done right, you need to grasp that! Again!"

Steve peers through the window before checking his watch. He was early to pick her up.

"What do you think Karen would say if she watched you fall because you aren't straightening out enough when you land. You're on stage, you have the audience in the palm of your hand but you fall because you barely give yourself time before that second set of pirouettes?"

She was frustrated, pushing herself harder until eventually, the thing Mrs. Cari warned about, happened.

Losing her footing, Ada slips as she lands, smacking down onto the hard floor. Gasping as it knocks the wind out of her, she writhes, but it feels like she's temporarily paralyzed. The woman pads over, leaning above her. "Get up."

But Ada just wants to lay there, small tears glossing her eyes.

"Get up."

Huffing, she finally gains enough strength to stand.

Cari sighs. "Go get cleaned up. We're done for the day."

"No. Play it again. I can do it." The girl argues, getting back into position, pushing the pain of her tired body away.

"No Ada, we're done. That's final."

With one last pissed off look, she marches out of the room, passing Steve and directly going to the locker room to wash her face.