Chapter 41

*

*

She called Carla every morning for the past two weeks, Ada had never cared so deeply to make sure someones day went well, besides her partner.

And as for Billy...

Well, they didn't speak.

This was a type of silence that scared Ada, one that reminded her of the days when he wasn't really himself. He didn't ice her out just from anger, it was like he was numb to her existence. And talking didn't help because well, he didn't hear a word she said.

He hardly noticed the dark circles under her eyes or the fact that all she wanted to do was sleep. Most nights she went straight to Rain's house, just to gain a little normalcy. Then she'd go home, look at Billy sitting on the couch or working out, then make something quick enough to eat so she could take a shower and go to bed.

Now that the weather was turning and she had just about finished another school term, she worked a lot more hours, hoping to tuck enough money away for the summer when something in the apartment was bound to break.

Hair tied up neatly, she stood in front of a group of 'pink swans' as she liked to call them, demonstrating nicely what the dance was.

And it made her happy, dancing in front of these young girls while the soft sun glows against the flooring. A perfect pirouette, she spins, only catching the sight of her two friends peeking in through the door.

"Girls, I want you to really practice now. In the last few minutes left of class, help each other prefect their forms. If I see spaghetti legs with no structure, I'm gonna cry. I want strong legs only!" She instructed, causing a few girls to giggle before she goes over to Rain and Deidra. "I totally spaced, tonight's not a good night to go out."

Deidra made a noise of displeasure. "Ada, you can't cancel on us again. What are you gonna do anyways? Go home, watch Beverly Hills 90210 while you lay on your couch, eating stale chips?"

She had a point, that's exactly what she wanted to go do.

"I'm tired, guys, I'm tired and I feel sickly and bloated and am in no mood to go out and drink."

Rain looked at her with eyes that always seemed to startle, observing her so intensely, it began to freak Ada out.

She shifts in her footing.

An old habit that won't die easy, just so that when others stare her down, they won't see right through her.

"Are you feeling okay?" Rain asks, but she already knows the answer.

Ada hadn't been feeling well for weeks on end. She's been to the doctor already, who only gave her two diagnosis. Either she had the flu again...or...

...

No.

She shook her head lightly. "No, I think I'm coming down with something. So like I said, not a good night to go out." Then she tries to get away quick before Rain could read too far into things, going back to the girls in class instead.