Chapter 15

Sitting with her head in her hands in Hopper's office, she listens to the clock tick over and over

Sitting with her head in her hands in Hopper's office, she listens to the clock tick over and over. "Sorry if I dragged you into this..." Liv starts to say, slouched in the wooden chair. They were waiting for their parents, bruised and heads hurting.

"No, believe me they deserved it...but maybe we should've, I don't know, taken a breath." Ada laughs.

"Yeah, that might've been the better option...sure was fun though."

They meet eyes in a moment of silence and burst into a laughter that is quickly cut short when Hopper walks in, slamming the door behind him and throwing a folder of papers on his desk.

"What the hell has gotten into you two?"

"Hop-"

"No! There will be no 'Hopper', Adaline. Hell after everything I've done to turn your life around, to give you a fighting chance of a good with the Wheeler's, you want to throw it away? Over what? Some silly fight because a girl called you a name?" He shouts.

"You weren't there, you don't know how it went down." She argues.

"Yes, I wasn't there, I don't know but what I do, Sommers, is that those parents want to press charges. You broke her nose! And you, Miss Hastings, wasn't today your first day at Hawkins? You are facing a possible expulsion."

Standing there like a dad, he lectures. And Liv doesn't respond, just nods.

"You two are lucky that I'm here. Very lucky. So, here's what's gonna happen." He lights a cigarette. "I will not grant the charges, you two will stay away from Laura and Julia, you will do eight hours of detention and stop the petty fighting."

Karen Wheeler walks through the door, followed by another woman with Liv's same blonde hair.

"Ada, honey, what on Earth-"

"Adaline!"

Eyes turn to see her actual mother walk in, face red with anger and embarrassment. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Pulling Ada's arm for her to stand up, she starts to lose her composure. "You said staying with Karen would be better for you, now look, you got arrested!"

"Get off of me." Ada shrugs her away.

"I am your mother-"

"No you aren't!"

Silence.

Heavy air and silence.

"You stopped being a mother while ago. So just leave. My life does not concern you anymore."

Terri looks around for help, but when she comes to the conclusion that no one was gonna defend her, she huffs and turns out of the room, hiding her tears. Karen places her perfectly manicured hand on Ada's back, slowly, like she was trying to not spook a horse.