Chapter 3

Mingyu opened his eyes to an unfamiliar ceiling. He couldn't move his body at all. His throbbing head forced him to close back his eyes. He let out a shaky breath. Wait, ceiling? The man's eyes widened. His eyes wandered around and realized he was in an unknown room. This room was not in any of his master's mansion. Mingyu tried to get up but failed as a sharp pain exploded all over his body.

But then he found out that his body was covered in bandages. What was happening to him? Where was he? Suddenly, the door opened and a woman came in. She saw the conscious Mingyu and exited the room back. And then came a man in a butler suit followed by the previous woman entered the room. They approached the bed and checked on Mingyu's condition.

"W-where am I?" Mingyu asked with a sore voice.

"Don't worry, you're safe now. We will talk when you are in better condition." the man said.

He gently closed Mingyu's eyes and the latter immediately went back to sleep due to exhaustion. The man caressed Mingyu's eyebrow, soothing the frown. The woman looked at Mingyu and then at the butler.

"Master never cares about someone's life. But why did he save him?" she asked.

"No one knows what is in our master's mind. Maybe he saw something in him." the butler replied.

The two left the room after they looked at the sleeping man one last time.

~ ~ ~

Two weeks have passed and Mingyu has finally fully recovered. He was so well-fed that he started to feel burdened by the treatment. This unknown lord was treating him so well and for what? He's just a lowly servant. And Mingyu was not even allowed to leave the room at all. And the only other person he interacted with was the butler named Seungcheol. So he knew nothing about his whereabouts. Until one day...

"Master wants to meet you." the butler told Mingyu.

The man sat there with a shiver running down his spine. Finally, it's time to meet the one who saved his life. The butler placed the outfit on the bed and ordered Mingyu to wear it before he met the lord. Mingyu grabbed the cloth and the man left the room. Halfway through slipping the shirt, Mingyu realized it was a butler's uniform. He buttoned the white shirt and wore the vest. But when it came to the necktie, he stopped. He's a servant. There's no way he knew how to wear it. So he exited the room and the butler was waiting for him.

"I-I don't know how to tie this." Mingyu stated.

The butler nodded and started to do the necktie for Mingyu. He fixed a few things that needed to be fixed on the attire and they were good to go. The two walked past a few corridors silently as Mingyu's eyes wandered around. After a while, they reached the room at the end of the corridor.

"Knock before you get in. And mind your words in front of the Duke." the butler warned Mingyu.

"The Duke?"

"Master is the king's second son. The Prince, Jeon Wonwoo." and Mingyu's eyes widened, shocked.

The butler knocked on the door for Mingyu and the latter was terrified by the revelation. He took a deep breath before he twisted the knob. As a lowly servant, he's not worthy of meeting someone with such a high ranking. The door opened wide and the butler gave Mingyu a gentle push before he closed the door behind the servant.

Mingyu became stiff as he looked at the man sitting at the table in front of him. The Duke was actually younger than he thought. Mingyu assumed he was some old nobleman but no, he was maybe at the same age as Mingyu. The Duke had a sharp features with pale skin. His jet-black hair and fierce eyes emitted a mysterious aura around him. And the Duke was so good-looking that Mingyu couldn't take his eyes off him.