Chapter 2

"Mingyu... let's eat. Milady saved some of this for you. She's worried about you." an old servant told the boy.

Mingyu looked at the old woman with a blank expression. Everyone could see that the latter had lost his smile. He's been like this for three months already. And they all knew why. His lover got sold away. The reason why the man still moving on with life was because to show his gratitude to his mistress for saving his life that day. But how could he stay alive if his heart was dead?

"It's okay. You can have it. I'm not hungry." Mingyu said with a forced smile.

"But you didn't eat anything since yesterday." the servant replied, making Mingyu turn silent.

"I know you're sad about Eunsoo. But she's not the only one in this world. You're still young. One day, you will meet a better girl." she continued.

"I'm not some nobleman that can have anyone I want. Who will look at this lowly servant?" he stated.

The old woman let out a sigh as she placed the plate beside Mingyu. Before he could say anything, she walked away. Mingyu looked at the food for a bit and he grabbed the tender bread and ate it slowly.

~ ~ ~

Mingyu was behind the mansion, cutting the grass when he heard the sound of a plate crashing and followed by an angry scream. He looked up and realized it was his mistress. She was arguing with her father. This was the first time she snapped this hard. Lady Joohyun was a well-composed and wise woman. She never let her anger take over her. Mingyu wondered what happened for her to be like this.

He kept his head low as he continued his job in silence. Suddenly, the back door opened and Milady walked out. Mingyu stood straight as he looked at her, confused.

"Mingyu, grab the horse. I'm going for a walk." she ordered the servant.

"A-are you sure Milady? Master maybe not be pleased with it."

"I don't care. We're running out of time."

Mingyu stopped his job and went to grab the horse. And just like that, the two were on the way to leave the property. The Lord looked outside the window from the second floor, watching his daughter leave. He called the maid and ordered a servant to follow the two.

The 'ride' was going well. The two women spent their precious time together, enjoying every second of it. Meanwhile, Mingyu was feeling anxious. He felt like something was not right. But he didn't want to ruin the moment. On the way here, Lady Joohyun told Mingyu about the fight between her and her father. The master was frustrated that Milady rejected all the marriage proposals from the noblemen all over the region. It's not her fault that the men were trash. None of them were worthy enough.

As usual, it was time for them to part away when Mingyu approached them. The whole journey was silent. Mingyu kept looking around because he felt like someone was watching them.

When they arrived at the mansion, the master was waiting outside. He looked at the two with an unreadable expression. Mingyu hung his head low, trying to avoid the stare.

"Take him." the master ordered the other servant.

They grabbed Mingyu and started to drag him into the barn. Lady Joohyun tried to intervene but two maids grabbed her and brought her into the mansion. Clueless Mingyu was just shocked because he didn't know what was happening. The servants threw him onto the ground and looked away. The master came with a cane in his hand and raised it high in the air. With a hard swing, he hit Mingyu's back with the cane. The man screamed in agony as he tried to crawl away.

The master raised again the cane and he hit Mingyu in the face and blood came out of his nose. And the beating kept going over and over again. The barn echoed with Mingyu's scream. The servants covered their ears as they felt totally hopeless.