Chapter 1

"I think the guards upstairs need help." one of the guards said as he pulled his sword.

"No! Six of us need to stay to protect our king, queen, and the crown prince." another one replied.

The six elite knights stayed in front of the basement stairs, shielding the three people at the back which were the royalty. They could hear the muffled screams of the guards coming from upstairs.

"Those pathetic bandits got some nerve to ambush my castle. Who do they think they are?"

"Mom, where's Wonwoo?" the crown prince asked.

"It's okay, dear. He must be hiding somewhere." the queen answered.

"But can't they go find him?"

"Our safety is more important." the mother cut her son off.

After a while, everything went silent. Out of a sudden, the screeching sound of the door being opened echoed throughout the stairs. And the sound of something rolling down the stairs. The mysterious thing met the end of the stairs and everyone was horrified. It was a head of a man, eyes bulging out and mouth agape.

The queen screamed and the king immediately covered his son's eyes. One of the knights kicked the head away as they prepared for anything that would walk down the stairs. To their shock, it was the second prince. He was covered in blood and held a dagger in his tiny hand. He looked around with his empty eyes. And the pair landed on his mother, the queen.

"Mom, Dad... why did you leave me out there?" the queen looked at the boy with a shocked face.

"I was sleeping when I heard screaming. When I woke up, he was at the door. He- he tried to hurt me." the boy pointed at the head.

"So I hurt him first."

The boy let go of the dagger as he approached his family. The mother looked away as she screamed,

"GET AWAY FROM ME!"

~ ~ ~

~ 11 years later ~

"Mingyu! Did you eat yet?" the called man looked up.

A smile appeared on his face when he saw a young woman come running towards him. He put the shovel aside and wiped his hands on his already dirty cloth before he reached out his hand. The woman grabbed it and dragged the man away.

"Did you eat yet today?" she asked again and Mingyu slowly shook his head.

"My poor lover must be hungry. Come on, Milady gave us some leftovers from lunch. Our Lord told us to throw it away but she insisted on giving it to us." the two entered the kitchen through the backdoor.

There were other servants gathering around the leftover food when the two joined them. All of them were eating the food slowly, trying to enjoy the delicious meals because for sure, it would be another lifetime for them to have these again.

Mingyu looked at the food and silently sigh. There was barely anything left for him and his lover. The other servants already ate them all but no one to be blame because everyone was starving. Their cruel master never fed them in the first place. The only way Mingyu could reach his 20 this year was because he taught himself how to hunt.

The forest behind the mansion was the place where Mingyu harnessed his hunting skill. But he tried not to go deeper into the wood because it was dangerous. Rumors said that there was a monster, a three-headed dog living deep inside the forest. It was said that there was a gate that led to the underworld and the three-headed dog was guarding it. People kept seeing a glance of a very big black dog, lurking behind the trees but no one ever saw it clearly.