A Shocking Totem

Essays, am I right?

Man this was a chapter that took literally 3 months to write, finally got the motivation to continue.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Lillie's POV

Following Sophocles into the back of the observatory, we passed multiple rooms that were boarded up and covered in boxes. I managed to peak into a few, seeing different household appliances like washing machines, or fridges. We approached a large double door.
"I do apologise, but spectators are not allowed into the trial room. There is a spectators room where you can watch from though!" Sophocles explained. I nodded, as me, Ash, and Molayne moved to above the trial zone, looking down. In front of us, were three nightvision goggles.

We watched as Serena walked into the room, and a loud robotic voice echoed through the speakers.

"~The trial has now started. Lights turning off~"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serena's POV

The lights flicked off, as I focused on any audio cues. Before I started, Sophocles explained to me how this trial worked. In pitch black darkness, I had to listen very carefully around me, and make my way to the end of the room without running into any Pokémon that are positioned as obstacles. Periodically, they would chirp out their names, giving me clues to avoid them. If I stumbled across any, I would have to battle them and I could not use any Pokémon outside of battle.

I slowly shuffled forward. Not feeling anything around me, I didn't see a reason to change my path, so I carried on forward. Suddenly, I heard a small chatter, inches away from my face. Realising that if I moved forward any more, I slowly stepped to my left a few times, and felt like it was safe to move forward again.

A few metres forward, and I could hear multiple different Pokemon in different directions. Focusing harder, I figured out that there was multiple G curubbin to my left and right. I had no idea how close I was now. I continued onward, trying to avoid the Pokémon, when I tripped over something beneath my feet. A Grubbin yelped in pain, and started a spark between its pincers, giving me a small bit of light, and ready to battle.

I brought out my Braixen and fired a flamethrower towards the bug and lighting up the area even more, giving me some advantage into looking down the room. The room was filled with Grubbin, and it's evolution, but also giving me a hint of where to walk. I memorised the steps I needed, and made it quite far towards the end of the room.

Now I was close to the end, I felt heavy breathing across my face, as I held my breath. The lights flicked on, and I was staring directly into the mouth of a large bug, electricity running down the sides of the pincers. An audible gasp came from the spectators box, as I saw out of the corner of my eye, Lillie hiding behind Ash. I stepped backwards to give myself some space, and readied myself for battle.

Rotom dropped down from seemingly out of nowhere, scanned the totem and turned to face me.

Vikavolt
The Stag Beetle Pokemon

The evolved form of Grubbin and Charjabug

 Vikavolt flusters opponents with acrobatic flying manoeuvres. This creates an opening for it to deliver an electric beam attack.

I looked at my Pokeballs and instantly knew who I wanted to use. Braixen would be my best bet for the majority of the battle. I smiled, nodded and threw Braixen's Pokeball towards the totem. She appeared with a roar, and grabbed her wand from her tail.

The Vikavolt fired off an early Electro Ball, but Braixen was aware and avoided it quite easily. She looked towards me and I nodded back in an understanding fashion, she wanted to use Fire Blast. As soon as she got the go-ahead,  she waved her wand in a starred pattern and pushed the flame towards the Totem. The Fire Blast hit the Vikivolt quite heavy, knocking it backwards, but it flew back to its original defensive position.

The Vikavolt let off a loud screech, and one of the Charjabug from behind me slithered to the side of the totem. The Vikavolt disappeared suddenly in a flurry of movement and dashed into Braixen, knocking her back, but she held on, digging her wand into the ground to slow the recoil. I yelled to use Hidden Power, knowing that Braixen's hidden power was flying type. This hit the Charjabug, sending it flying into the wall. It recovered, and fired off its own Electro Ball, yet much weaker. This hit Braixen causing her to take a lot of damage.

"No!" I shouted. She turned to me with a smile. She wasn't done yet, and I think we are ready to use our Z move. Pressing in the red gemstone on my wrist, I moved in time with Braixen following the fiery dance, yelling out "Inferno Overdrive!" We fired off the powerful move, hitting both the Charjabug and the Vikavolt. The Charjabug had taken most of the hit, having fainted from the attack. The Z-move had drained Braixen though, and she looked as if she was going to collapse at any moment. The Vikavolt, also looking clearly weakened, fired off another Electro Ball. This hit Braixen, causing her to fall backwards. 

Sighing, I recalled Braixen back and thought to myself on who to use now. Crabrawler won't listen, Shiinotic won't help much, Vulpix is too weak. My best option would be Grubbin? 

I threw Grubbin onto the field, and the tiny bug chirped at the larger Pokemon. He clearly recognised that Vikavolt was what he would eventually become, and he looked at me in excitement. I couldn't help but think that this was so cute. He turned back to battle now, with a more determined look in his eyes. I instructed for Grubbin to use dig, but the Vikavolt flew up and avoided the whole attack. Grubbin quickly retreated back to get the advantage back, when he was hit by a strong Electro Ball. 

This didn't damage him though. He was just surging with electricity. Without my command, he fired off his own Electro Ball, the first time I had seen him use this move. The attack hit, but didnt damage Vikavolt too much. Yet he was still surging with electricity. The electricity suddenly became too much, and he started to glow, causing the lights to flicker, and all the wild Pokemon around were all moving erratically. When I looked back to where Grubbin was, he was replaced by a larger yet more formidable shiny bug in Charjabug. He had evolved. 

"You evolved!" I squealed

"You evolved!" I squealed. I was met in response with a static noise, which I could only assume was excitement. "Lets finish this. Acrobatics!" I Yelled. Grubbin moved too fast for Vikavolt to track, and rammed into the much larger foe, knocking it out of the air, unconscious. We had won, and my own Pokemon had also evolved!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ash's POV

I ran down as soon as I could after seeing that battle, it had filled me with such excitement. Serena has become such a strong trainer now I don't even know if I could beat her right now, I was so proud of my girlfriend. As soon as I reached the door to the trial, it opened in front of me and Serena was stood in front of me, smiling from head to toe. 

I ran up and hugged her as hard as I could, lifting her up and spinning her around in my arms. Her dress flowed with the movement. 
"I am so proud of you!" I whispered to her, pressing my forehead against hers. She couldn't respond out of how much she was blushing and smiling at the same time. She just collapsed in my arms.