82|+18

Bucky's pov

"It's beautiful, Pal." Steve pats my back, shiny eyes as I take deep breaths.

"She's going to love it, Barnes." Natasha wipes under her eyes. "I'm so happy for you two." Glaring at Steve.

"Ooh, I think someone's trying to tell you something, Steve." I shrug, pocketing the velvety box.

"Shut up, Punk." Steve blushes. "She already said no."

"What?" Natasha's eyes widen. "I didn't!"

"Saying 'I would say yes but now's not the time' is not exactly a yes, is it?" Grinning at her.

"Yeah, no." Natasha chuckles, pecking Steve's cheek. "She's going to say yes, Bucky. She loves you." Slapping my back.

"Thank you." I nod.

Now I just have to wait for her to come home.

"You're leaving tomorrow?" Steve asks as we walk outside to the living area.

"Yeah." I nod. "They said the sooner we start, the faster I'll recover for the fight." Feeling my chest tightening at the thought of it.

"It's going to work." Steve says, hugging me. "You deserve this, Bucky."

— — —

"Hi, love." Ana hugs me. She looks beautiful with her hair up, a sundress and those bright eyes that make me groan.

"Hi." I kiss her head, trying to breathe normal. "Listen, I wanted to—"

"Actually, can we sit outside for a bit?" She cuts me off, grinning up at me. "It's just...it's a beautiful day." Shimmying her shoulders.

Something's off. I know it by she's fidgeting with her fingers, pulling at the skin around her nails.

"Yeah, baby." I nod, taking her hand. "It's such a beautiful day outside. Wouldn't want to miss it."

Her body presses against mine as we walk toward the garden, her hand shaking in mine making me feel nervous. But not nerves of the good ones, of the bad ones. I start to get scared that Steve or Natasha might have let slip that today I would ask her to be my wife today and that's why Ana is acting this way. Taking me to a quiet place where she can reject my proposal and we can talk later. I'm about to open my mouth and tell her I'm feeling tired when my eyes catch sight of the tablecloth-covered lawn. Bowls of chopped fruit, a basket with sandwiches inside and a blanket that I know is comfortable from experience.

I feel my smile form at the sight of the blueberries, remembering how we played with them the last time I was here with her.

The picnic is exactly the same as that day and, now that I realize it, the sky is painted by the same colors as when I promised her I would never leave her side.

"What's all this, love?" I smile, turning to her.

Her eyes are shining with tears but her grin makes me know they're happy ones. But, the way her cheeks flush and her hands begin to shake again when my eyes meet hers makes me want to puke.

She's knows.
She knows and she's going to say no.

How could I be so stupid thinking this is the time to ask her such an important thing? This is too soon!

"I wanna talk to you." Ana clears her throat. "Can we sit down?" Her eyes not meeting mine as she lowers herself to the grass.

She's definitely going to turn me down.
Oh, fuck, now I'm sweating.