BONUS: THE DAY SHE GOT MERCY

Start from the beginning

"Neither can I, if you ask me," Amphitrite said.

I turned back to the mosaic. "If you wage war as you continue," I predicted, "you won't be able to hold back for long. I'd be careful if I were you."

"Gee, we never figured that bit out," Triton said.

"The best strategy right now is making sure all your forces aren't deployed yet. You have to keep morale up. Keep your best weapon yet on the ready, but don't use it. When the Titan of the Ocean finally does come up," I continued, "you're going to use it on him. Anything that can throw him far off will help. A few miles, a few meters, anything. We'll need time to rearrange armies. There's an ancient military formation- I've read about it... we have enough warriors for it."

"What are you suggesting?" Alexandra asked.

I racked my brains. "There's one military formation- it's incredibly famous too... I can't remember it."

"You mean a phalanx?"

"No-" I turned back to the mosaic. "Never mind that. I know the main bits. The formation begins with two soldiers standing back-to-back, with other such set of soldiers standing at a distance of three hands, drawing up seven circles and culminating in the end which is the place where the captured person or object is to be kept. Once drawn, the foremost soldiers come on either side of the opponent to be captured, engage briefly and then advance. Their place is taken up by the next soldiers on either side, who again engage the opponent briefly and then advance. In this fashion, a number of soldiers pass the enemy and proceed in a circular pattern. By the time the rear of the formation arrives, the oblivious enemy is surrounded on all sides by seven tiers of soldiers."

"Talk English," Triton said.

"See," Poseidon explained from his understanding, "the formation is going to be several circles of soldiers, like a labyrinth and when the opponent enters into the maze, we take them down one by one. Am I right?"

"Yes," I replied. "With the number of soldiers and mermen you have, I'm sure that half your soldiers will go just on defense. The other half can form a phalanx and charge at the opponent."

Alexandra smiled, impressed. "Athena always has a plan, Dad."

"Why do you always support her and not me?" Poseidon asked.

"We're cousins. I have to support her."

"Where's Percy?" I asked, only remembering the boy.

"He just left a few hours ago," Amphitrite said. "Didn't even help with the war."

"I asked him to leave, dear," Poseidon said, smiling.

Amphitrite huffed.

"On that note," Alexandra smiled, "you've done us a lot of help, Ariana. I think it's time you left for home."

"What?" I asked. "But I just helped you- I need to see this formation!"

Poseidon sighed. "As much as I require a lot of assistance on this, your fight lies in the world above. We will hold here. We have no choice."

"But I have a choice!" I said. "I want to stay and help."

"No," Alexandra said firmly. And I knew that that was the end of the line. "You're needed on land. Typhon and Kronos are greater threats. And although Percy Jackson is not so dumb as he makes out to be, he will still need assistance. From you."

I pouted. "But-"

"No ifs or buts," Alexandra said.

I gave up. "Okay."