BONUS: THE DAY SHE LET HIM GO AWAY

"Tess," Lee said, holding my brother's hand, "I can come instead. Let Adam stay. His Cabin needs him."

"No, I'll need his skills on the way. The Oracle said so," Tess reminded.

"I don't see why I can't go instead," I huffed.

"Because I'm older than you, silly," Tess said, smiling. He ruffled my hair.

Tears were brimming in my eyes. I didn't even protest when he put his hand on my head, messing up my awesome curls.

"Hey," Tess consoled, "it's gonna be okay. I'll be back before you say-"

"Empty Fort Strategy?" I asked, voice breaking.

"Yeah." He smiled at me softly.

"If you die, I'll kill you," I said, holding his palm.

"I'd like to see how you do that," Adam said, grinning.

"You can experience that without dying," Lee said, smirking.

"Shut up, Lee."

"Oh, you can shut up."

Hestia smiled next to us. "I hope you find your destination," she told Tess and Adam.

We were standing on Half Blood Hill, waiting for the Greyhound bus to stop by. It had been two days since the Oracle had issued her quest to Tess, and he'd chosen Adam to join him. My stupid brother wouldn't reveal what the lady had told him.

I could hear the faint horn of the bus, just few kilometers away.

Tess turned to me. "Look, Ariana," Tess said, "I want you to always look after our cabin mates. They can be tough sometimes, but they're always ready to follow you."

"Tess, where exactly are you leading this conversation?"

"Look, if I don't come back," Tess said. I shook my head furiously.

"Don't."

"Look, it's important I tell you this," Tess said hurriedly. "Look, I love you so much, I hope you find every happiness in the world. But when I'm gone... if I'm gone, I want you to promise me that you will blame no one. No one. Not the gods, not people, not anyone, but me."

"Tess-"

"I want you to promise you'll take care of CHB if I'm gone."

"I don't-"

"Ari, please."

I blinked back my tears and spoke with a shaken voice, "I promise."

He pulled me into a bear hug and kissed my forehead. "Take care, Ari."

"I'll see you again, Teddy," I said, smiling. I extended a hand to Adam and Lee, and they promptly followed along with Hestia, as we merged into a group hug.

The bus came to stop as we pulled away. "Bye, honey blonde," Adam called to me as they ran to the bus.

"Take care!" I shouted back, waving my hand at them vigorously, even after the bus had disappeared out of view.

"Do come, dear," Hestia said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's time for your first lesson."

Since my best friends had left, they'd found it incredibly convenient to push their duties on my head. So there I was, teaching Ancient Greek and Mythology to kids from the age of seven to nineteen at eight in the morning, followed by camp counsellor duties, cabin check, lunch, teaching sword fighting to five cabins at different intervals, war strategy with Ares and Hephaestus, climbing the wall, planning for Capture the Flag with Lee and Tony Hunt (the temporary cabin counsellor for Hermes), going to rec room meetings and trying not to fall asleep by five in the evening, when I had to take Ancient Greek lessons- again.

It was hell just surviving the first two weeks.

"So why is he called Zeus?" a seven year old Demeter kid asked.

"I just explained," I said, trying to stay calm. "He was the only one who wasn't swallowed by Kronos, Frank. So his mom, Rhea, named him after the fact that he was the only one to actually live in the real world."

"Okay, but why was he the only one to actually live in the real world?"

I wanted to break my bow and shove into this kid's mouth.

I took a deep breath. "How about we go over the whole topic over again tomorrow?"

"Okay," Frank said. "So... we can go now?"

"Yep. Please do."

I sighed as they all went ahead with their duties.

"Having fun?" a voice asked from behind me as I stacked all the books on the table.

"On the contrary," I replied. "I'm never taking Greek once Tess gets back."

I turned to see Chiron standing right outside the Big House's Ancient Greek Classroom. He was smiling in a sort of sadistic way. Behind him stood Lee, grinning widely.

"How'd you like to play a game of uno? I'm sure Lady Hestia loves it," Chiron said.

"I'll see you at the temple in five minutes," I nodded. "Just got to... finish up."

Chiron nodded. He trotted away from the Big House.

Lee stood by the door.

"What d'you reckon it's about, then?" I asked him.

"What?" Lee said. "How am I supposed to know?"

"Oh, I can tell from that smirk of yours that you already know something, Fletcher," I said, smirking.

Lee smiled wider, scratching his head. "You know me too well, Aria."

"Don't call me Aria," I warned him.

"Right. Anyway, I heard Mr. D talk to Chiron something about Tess when I was waiting for Chiron to show up for archery classes with my cabin."

I turned to him immediately. "What did he say?"

"I don't know, man," Lee said. "I only half heard him. Something like 'kids... Theseus... Adam.' That's all."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "You're not lying?"

"Swear on the Styx, not lying," Lee said.

Thunder rolled outside.

"I suppose you're saying the truth," I said. "But you didn't have to swear on the Styx for that, jeez. So serious."

"Not as serious as you, Aria."

"You know what?" I turned to Lee, glaring daggers at him. "You just lost your right to call me Ari."

"We're friends. I was building up to call you Ri Ri one of these days."

"Ri Ri?!" I asked in shock. "That'll never happen. In fact, you just lost your 'Ariana' privileges. From now on, you can call me 'Adler' or 'Hey you'."

I turned away from him, arranging the books back on the shelves.

"Come on, Ari," Lee said pleadingly.

I may have ignored him, smiling just a bit.

"Come on, hey you."

I couldn't control it. I burst into laughter, and Lee followed.

"Alright, one more chance," I said finally. "Never think about Ri Ri in your life ever again."

"Your wish is my command, my lady," Lee said, bowing.

I chuckled. "Let's go get Hestia."

_____________________________________