PERCY JACKSON

"I still don't get why he didn't turn you in for using that book," said Ron. "He must've known where you were getting it all from."

"He knew," said Harry bitterly. "He knew when I used Sectumsempra. He didn't really need Legilimency... he might even have known before then, with Slughorn talking about how brilliant I was at Potions... shouldn't have left his old book in the bottom of that cupboard, should he?"

"But why didn't he turn you in?"

"I don't think he wanted to associate himself with that book," said Hermione. "I don't think Dumbledore would have liked it very much if he'd known. And even if Snape pretended it hadn't been his, Slughorn would have recognized his writing at once. Anyway, the book was left in Snape's old classroom, and I'll bet Dumbledore knew his mother was called 'Prince'."

"I should've shown the book to Dumbledore," said Harry. "All that time he was showing me how Voldemort was evil even when he was at school, and I had proof Snape was, too--"

"'Evil' is a strong word," said Hermione quietly.

"You were the one who kept telling me the book was dangerous!"

"I'm trying to say, Harry, that you're pulling too much blame on yourself. I thought the Prince seemed to have a nasty sense of humor, but I would never have guessed he was a potential killer..."

"None of us could've guessed Snape would... you know," said Ron.

The Common Room fell into silence as we stared into the fire.

"I can't believe it," Hermione said, her eyes filled with tears. Ron patted her back. "No proper funeral."

"Then we'll need one for everyone we lost too," I said. "We don't have the time or the money for that. McGonagall's right."

Harry's eyes blazed with anger. "I said I'd take up the cost! I have enough money-"

"You don't happen to be a lord of time, do you?" Jason asked with a raised eyebrow. 

Harry looked at him, almost dumbstruck. "No-"

"Then there's no use of money, then," Jason said. "Your money can afford Dumbledore a white marble coffin, but it won't afford us the time to conduct a funeral for everyone. This is Voldemort's new playhouse, and he'll be here soon enough."

My stomach growled painfully at the thought. I wanted to go down to the kitchens one last time and say good-bye to the house-elves. (They let me bake all the time.)

Harry swallowed. He lowered his gaze back into the fire. "You're right." 

"But- it's Dumbledore!" Ron said. 

"And along with Dumbledore, a hundred students and three members of staff have disappeared," I said. "Either all of them deserve a grand funeral, or none of them do."

"At least they've decided to build a monument in their memory," Hermione said, looking out the window.

Giant pillars made of glistening gold had been raised from the ground, and names of all the students and the Headmaster had been carved delicately by the students who still lived on in the past few days. I stared at the marvel, a blessing given by Hades.  

"Think you'll be coming back?" Jason asked finally.

"I can't bear the idea that we might never come back." Hermione said softly. "How can Hogwarts close?"

"Maybe it won't," said Ron. "We're not in any more danger here than we are at home, are we? Everywhere's the same now. I'd even say Hogwarts is safer, there are more wizards inside to defend the place. What d'you reckon, Harry?"

"I'm not coming back even if it does reopen," said Harry.

Ron gaped at him, but Hermione said sadly, "I knew you were going to say that. But then what will you do?"

"I'm going back to the Dursleys' once more, because Dumbledore wanted me to," said Harry. "But it'll be a short visit, and then I'll be gone for good."

"But where will you go if you don't come back to school?"

"I thought I might go back to Godric's Hollow," Harry muttered. He had had the idea in his head ever since the night of Dumbledore's death. "For me, it started there, all of it. I've just got a feeling I need to go there. And I can visit my parents' graves, I'd like that."

"And then what?" said Ron.

"Then I've got to track down the rest of the Horcruxes, haven't I?" said Harry. "That's what he wanted me to do, that's why he told me all about them. If Dumbledore was right--and I'm sure he was--there are still four of them out there. I've got to find them and destroy them and then I've got to go after the seventh bit of Voldemort's soul, the bit that's still in his body, and I'm the one who's going to kill him. And if I meet Severus Snape along the way," he added, "so much the better for me, so much the worse for him."

There was a long silence.

"Will won't let the school down," I said, "he'll be coming back to treat everyone here.."

"Good," Hermione said, "if Voldemort takes over... I think we'll be needing a little more than just simple potions at the Hospital Wing."

I took a long breath. "I have to investigate this- this half universe vanishing thing...." I looked to Ron. 

"Someone needs to stay back... with five members gone.... the Order of the Phoenix needs backup," Jason said. "Annabeth and I'll be at London." He turned to Ron. "What about you?"

Ron was staring into the fire in deep thought. "We'll be there for Harry," said Ron.

"What?" Harry asked suddenly.

"At your aunt and uncle's house," said Ron. "And then we'll go with you, wherever you're going."

"No--" said Harry quickly.

"Harry," Jason interrupted, "you need your friends. Especially at this time."

I raised an eyebrow at him. I had expected Jason to join the three on their journey to hell, our main quest being keeping an eye on Harry Potter, but I was surprised he trusted Hermione and Ron to protect the Chosen One- the one who was meant to die.

Jason nodded at me calmly, a look on his face that clearly said- I know what I'm doing.

"You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"

"We're with you whatever happens," said Ron. "But, mate, you're going to have to come round my mum and dad's house before we do anything else, even Godric's Hollow. All of us, before we do anything else."

"Why?"

"Bill and Fleur's wedding, remember?"

"Yeah, we shouldn't miss that," he said.

_____________________________