BONUS: THE DAY SHE KNEW TRUE LOSS

I don't remember hearing myself scream.

My best friend, my brother, had just been made into chutney in front of my eyes. What'd you expect I'd do?

I pushed away the giant hand away from his torso.

To my surprise, he was still breathing, gasping for air.

"Lee! MEDICINE!" I yelled, crying. "LEE!"

I fell to my knees, cradling Tess' head in my lap. He coughed, spewing out blood from his mouth.

"No, no, no, no..." I said, my voice cracking as I cried.

The idiot had the gall to smile. "It's alright," he said.

"NO!" I yelled.

Lightning crackled in the air. Thunder boomed.

"Look," Tess said, trying to talk as he withstood all that pain, "I just want you to know-"

"Shut up," I said. "I want you to stay here with me. Eyes on me."

He coughed again. "I'm afraid I'm clocking out of here."

"Not an option," I replied. "Just- just stay here and we'll fix you up-"

"Before you can say 'Empty Fort Strategy'?" He smiled.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"Ari- tell Lee that I love him very much. Tell him to keep up with his archery-"

"Shut up," I whispered. "I don't want to hear your last words."

"Sure you do," he replied, grinning. He held onto my palms tightly. "It's not your fault, Ari. It's not-" he began coughing. "It's not their fault. It's no one's fault."

I squeezed his hand. Lee ran to us, falling to his knees. "Tess..." he said, his voice cracking.

"Hey, man," Tess replied rather coolly.

"If you weren't dying right now, I'd choke you myself," Lee said, laughing through tears.

We looked at each other, holding hands, just for a moment.

"He died well," Tess coughed. "Adam."

He sniffed. "He wanted you to know... it was his destiny. And it is my destiny too."

He looked up at me. "Promise me. You won't blame anyone for my death."

I didn't know what to do. His blood was on my hands, both literally and figuratively.

"This is my last wish, Ari. Please."

I didn't hesitate after that. "I promise."

"Good." He exhaled, closing his eyes. His grip loosened from my palm. His face was calm, peaceful, as though he had accomplished his life's purpose.

That night, three shrouds, one metallic white, bordered green; another a pale blue, somehow glittering golden at the same time; and the other, shining gray silk, embroidered with black and brown owls were brought to the amphitheater, where the only three casualties of the battle would be given their due honor.

"Theseus and Adam were the best of campers," Chiron said, his face swollen and puffy from the rough night. "They were good students, and an honor to this camp. They took on their quest bravely, and were willing to die for the good of others. They were our most longstanding campers, both of them here for almost a decade each. Thalia Grace, our newest camper yet, was so loyal, that she sacrificed herself even before she knew us. Such bravery at such a young age is impossible to find. The best of friends require the best of honors. That is why, I have asked their best friends to do the final honors and burn Theseus Young and Adam Worth's shrouds."