PIPER McLEAN

"Are we just going to stay like this for the rest of the evening?"

I looked up at Percy. 

We were sitting in the rec room, surrounded by other teens, the current cabin counsellors, all looking to us in wonder. We had just finished explaining what had been going on in the normal world to the mortals, and Tartarus' curse on us.

The table had been incredibly quiet ever since. 

I believe it had been at least thirty minutes until Percy had finally spoken up. 

"So?" he said, raising an eyebrow.

"So what do we do?"  Leo asked, running a hand through his dark hair. "It's not like we can go down to Tartarus and challenge him to a battle."

"Exactly," Percy snapped. "The battle is coming here."

"And we need to be prepared for it," I nodded.

"Let me propose an idea," Chiron said. "I realize it's usually the gods that ask us for help. But this time... Tartarus isn't after the gods."

"He's after demigods- us."

"No," Percy intervened. "He's after the universe. He's after power from the gods. He's after revenge from us, for killing his wife. He wants to kill us both."

"All the more reason for both to work together without any differences," Chiron said. "No inferior or superior complexes, just allies and family working against a common enemy- a deity who intends to destroy everything."

The doors swung open with a BANG. 

I turned around. 

At the doorstep stood Mr. D in all his glory, his old form melting away into a young man in a chiton. The Hawaiian shirts disappeared, grapevines were decorating his arms, and he wore Greek sandals. His blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight, and his long caramel hair fell to his broad shoulders. 

"Wow," Leo whispered. 

"I think you'll find," Mr. D said, "your wishes are coming true, Chiron."

"Mr. D?" Chiron stammered. "I-I-I don't-"

"These youngsters have just had the pleasure of telling me my fate," Mr. D turned around, pointing outside.

I peered outside. I had to squint a bit to see who was there. Seventeen-year-old Percy stood up and walked outside, with Chiron trotting beside him.

The familiar figure of Apollo seemed visible to the eye, his hair gleaming in the sunlight, his golden Maserati/ sun chariot already attracting a couple of Aphrodite girls. To his side, duller and yet bright enough, stood a woman.

Chiron was the first to gasp. "You came back?" he whispered silently, smiling softly. 

The woman's figure shrugged. I stood up and walked outside. Mr. D sidestepped as the woman came closer.

Her platinum blonde hair seemed cursed, but her tall and graceful figure was almost glowing white, as though she was spreading power. Her gray eyes, steely, a shade darker than Annabeth's, seemed to scan everything in the Camp robotically, and her pink lips were stretched into a small smile. A long cut, slightly red and raw, ran across her cheek. "Of course I came back," the woman said. "I promised in that letter, didn't I?"

"Wait," Percy smiled as the woman hugged Chiron. "You sent him a letter, but didn't send me one? Your sister's bestie? YOUR BESTIE?"

The woman grinned. "I didn't think you'd need one to know I'd be back, bestie," she said. Her voice was smooth and melodious.