PERCY JACKSON

Athena towered over the few of us, her form glowing dark and yet still somehow bright. "Thank you, demigods," she gave us a rare smile. "I will make sure your aims are fulfilled and Tartarus is defeated."

The thrones began to shift by themselves as the gods got down from their seats of honor. 

"All hail our new leader," Apollo said, "Athena!"

There was a weak 'HAIL!' from Zeus and Hera, but the rest followed quite happily.

I personally thought Athena was the best choice. The other god who had been shortlisted was Mr. D. He was kind, even though he never showed it out. But Athena was basically Alexandra version 2.0. I mean, goddess of wisdom, master of war.. that made a lot of sense. She lived to lead demigods just as her former cousin did. 

I grinned at my mother in law, and she threw me a look of disgust. "I still do not approve of your company."

"Oh, come on!" I said, "What is it with you gods and hating me with a determination?"

Athena's gray eyes twinkled. "You're just easy to hate, Perseus. You are too nice to be a hero."

"That's a problem now?!" I couldn't believe her.

"You can ask your father," Athena said. "He tried to kill my warrior Odysseus because he let Polyphemus live."

"What?!" I turned to Dad.

"Hey, he pissed me off," Dad said, his eyes gazing to Ariana once in a while. 

"Odysseus was just trying to be nice," Ariana protested. 

"I've been so gracious all the time," Dad smiled, "and yet you hurt the son of mine."

"Uh.. Dad, Ariana never hurt your son," I began-

"Not everything has to end with death!" Ariana said, frowning. "Otherwise the blood we spill will never dry!"

"And what about the giants you intend to slaughter when the war finally comes?" Dad asked. "Will you let Tartarus go because not everyone has to be killed?"

"He's not wrong," Zeus interrupted.

"Oh, come on, don't bring that in now!" Ariana said. 

"You were far too nice," Zeus said. "You fight to save lives, but you don't kill to get the job done."

"That was back when?" Ariana said. "You do realize that Kronos died because of me?"

I was starting to lose track of the conversation.

"You need to be Perseus and Atalanta," Ares said. "Odysseus was more feminine- he was too soft. You reveal your name and then you let a Cyclops live, I mean, what kind of idea was that?"

"A reckless one, indeed," Athena nodded. 

"Hey, not you too!" Ariana protested. 

"Just saying," Athena arched an eyebrow. "So much could've been avoided."

"Fine," Ariana sighed. She facepalmed. "I made a mistake. I'm sorry."

"You've earned my mercy this one time, Odysseus," Dad said. "Make it count."

"I'm not Odysseus anymore," Ariana growled. "I'm Ariana Adler."

***

The thrones that had been floating came down into a formation so that Athena's throne was in the center, surrounded closely by the other thrones. 

"What do you mean, you're not Odysseus anymore?" I asked Ariana. "When were you even Odysseus?"

Ariana rolled her eyes. She brought her bow out. "You haven't ever tried to hold this, have you?"