20: Sparked

Since that wonderful day, I've stayed at the base so Ratchet could closely monitor me. No one in the base knew what we were planning. They didn't need to know. Not yet, at least. It only became apparent that something was up when I had an incident.

I was carrying an energon storage cube to be stowed away when a wave of nausea and dizziness slammed into me. I ended up dropping the container and breaking it with a loud crash, my frame shaking as I went down with it. Wheeljack heard the crash and went to investigate, spotting me on my side.

"Oh, Primus! Ratchet! RATCHET!" Wheeljack called, kneeling by my side.

"WHAT?! CAN'T YOU SEE I AM WORKING?!" Ratchet snapped angrily from the other room. "Did you break something again? I swear to the Allspark yo-" Ratchet was cut off when he entered and spotted me on the floor. "Y/D!" He cried out, rushing to my side. He gently lifted me up, my frame weak in his arms.

"Rstchet... I-I don't... I don't feel good." I mumbled, my speech slurred as I tried to prevent myself from purging my tanks. Ratchet quickly brought me to the medical bay, the rest of team Prime now concerned.

"What's wrong, doctor?" Ultra Magnus asked.

"I'm not sure." Ratchet said, laying me on my back. He ran some scans over me, a look of bewilderment at the results.

"Ratchet? You good?" Bulkhead asked.

"Y/D is sparked." Ratchet whispered. I looked up at him, tears of joy in my optics.

"Did I hear that right?" Arcee asked. "Did you just say that Y/D is sparked?" Ratchet nodded, kneeling next to me and taking my servo into his. We pressed our forehelms together, Ratchet practically sobbing.

"You owe me 3 cubes of high-grade Bulkhead." I heard Wheeljack say, to which Ratchet grabbed a nearby wrench and chucked it at him with a loud clang. "Ow! Hey!"

"Don't ruin the moment you aft!" Ratchet grumbled. I chuckled in amusement at the interaction.

"Ratchet, I suggest we keep Y/D out of active duty for the time being." Optimus said.

"With all due respect, sir. How is this even possible?" Ultra Magnus asked.

"Oh boy. Who's gonna tell shoulderpads?" I snorted, another burst of fatigue causing me to groan. "S-slag."

"Try to relax, sweetspark. You are in the early stages, and the protoform is drawing a lot of energy from you." Ratchet said, gently propping me up so my back was supported by the wall.

"I just hope it isn't a trine." I snorted.

"Why would it be?" Smokescreen asked.

"Both my sire and my carrier were part of a trine." I chuckled. I swear I saw Ratchet almost faint at the possibility. "But I don't know if it will carry through to term." I said, my ridges furrowed. Ratchet gently placed a servo on my tanks and kissed my helm.

"We will face whatever storm our little one or little ones will bring. I promise you that." Ratchet said. "No matter what, I'll be by your side."

"Not like you have a choice." I laughed, Ratchet huffing at me.

--------------

Since the day we found out I was sparked, Ratchet would constantly fuss over me. He would run scans to check the protoform's progress and frequently would check my vitals. It was quite adorable how excited he was.

"You're lucky to have him." Jack's carrier June said after one of my many checkups.

"I just wish he wouldn't worry so much." I said, a servo resting on the small bump that had formed in my tanks.

"Jack's father was that way when he found out I was pregnant." June said. "Unfortunately, he left before Jack was born."

"Aft." I said.

"No, he just wasn't ready, and I was not about to give up Jack because he wouldn't step up."

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that alone." I said, a sudden jolt in my tanks startling me. I let out a small yelp, trying to calm the protoform.

"Have you tried singing to them?" June asked, noticing my discomfort.

"What?"

"Sometimes babies calm down when you sing to them. I don't know if it works the same with cybertronians." June said. I paused a moment, gently rubbing my tanks and softly singing the song that my carrier would sing to me when I was sparkling.

It was an ancient Cybertronian lullaby that told the story of a healer who fell in love with a sailor and how they met in the heat of battle. The sailor didn't want to hurt the healer, but he had orders to do so. Instead of harming the healer, he fled with her to Harmonex, where they lived in secret. When the healer passed away due to illness, the sailor buried her at the center of Harmonex. It is said his spirit continues to guard her grave, his rusted frame acting as her tombstone.

The song seemed to calm the protoform, a small smile on my face when it actually worked.

"Y/D, where did you hear that song?" Ratchet asked.

"My carrier used to sing it to me. She told me it was why the storms from the Sea of Rust always made such sad sounds when it reached Harmonex. It is said that the Sea mourns the loss of the sailor, and Harmonex mourns the loss of the healer. I know it's just a story, but I always enjoyed it for some reason." I said with a soft smile. "I guess I am a sucker for cliche romance tragedies."

"Could be worse. You could like RomComs." Miko piped up from her homework.

"What's a RomCom?" I asked in confusion.

"It's like a badly written fanfiction by an insomniac fanatic with a dash of forced humor." Miko said. Both Ratchet and I looked at each other in further confusion.

"Just nod and pretend you understand." June whispered.

--------
A/N coming up: drama, tragedy, betrayal, and a long chapter. Stay tuned.
Also 4th wall? Don't know her.