13: Rookie

"Ratchet, I can fight!" I exclaimed, stumbling up to my pedes. "Let me come with you and the others. You'll need the backup for that escape pod."

"Ep ep ep no, you are still recovering." Ratchet scolded. "You can barely stand. Your spark is still incredibly weak, and not to mention." Ratchet went over to me and kissed my helm. "I don't want you to get hurt. I know you feel useless, but I can't lose the one thing that I care about more than life itself. The more you push yourself too far, the longer we won't be able to bond again."

"Hmph..." I grunted, hating that he was right. "Just... please be careful."

"Don't worry, we'll be back before you know it." Ratchet said, leaving with the others. I let out an exasperated sigh and plopped my aft onto the medical berth.

"It's fine, they'll be fine." I muttered to myself.

"Will a funny cat video help?" Miko asked. I cocked a ridge and her and shrugged.

"Might as well." I said. Before I knew it, the humans and I had watched 17 different cat videos, and I couldn't help but be amused by these small creatures.

"Raphael, we need a bridge." Ratchet called through the comlink. The smallest human hopped up and activated the bridge, the autobots returning with a plus 1. I looked to his chassis and spotted the Elite Guard insignia on him and immediately stiffened. We made optic contact, and I looked away.

Ratchet noticed my discomfort and went to my side.

"Y/D, do you recognize Smokescreen?" Optimus asked.

"Yes and no." I said meekly. "I recognize his insignia, something I wish I never did see."

"What do you have against the Elite Guard?" Smokescreen asked, almost sounding offended.

"I grew up around them for a while and had some bad experiences with them. My sire used to be part of the High Council." I said sternly. Ratchet gently squeezed my arm in a reassuring way.

"Wait, who was your sire? Maybe I knew him."

"You wouldn't have." I said darkly.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because... my sire is Soundwave." Smokescreen seemed shocked by this. "I don't want to discuss it further. Especially after what he and Megatron did to me."

"I... I'm sorry." Smokescreen said.

"Don't be. You didn't do the things that they did." I said, a wave of fatigue causing me to slouch from my seated position. "I... I need to lay down." Ratchet gently helped me up, my scythe acting as a form of support as he brought me to our shared berthroom. As I laid down, Ratchet ran a scan over me, his expression growing increasingly worried.

"Try and get some rest, sweetspark." He said, kissing my helm. He then left the berthroom and shut the door.

"You seem worried, old friend." Optimus said.

"He's not getting any better Optimus, and I don't know why. Yet he isn't getting worse, which is a good sign. I just... he feels so helpless, and I want him to recover."

"The breaking of a bond can be devastating. He will recover."

"How... how did you recover when yours was broken?" Optimus gave Ratchet a small smile.

"When Elita joined the Allspark, I was in a similar condition to Y/D. It takes time, but I found that having someone who cares deeply and who is there to provide support when needed is the best thing you can do to help him recover. He needs you, Ratchet."

"If only I could get him from doing stupid scrap -"

"I HEARD THAT!" I yelled through the door, followed by a quiet laugh. Ratchet let out a signature sigh, pinching the space between his optics.

"He will be the death of me, I swear." Ratchet said in amusement.

--------------
I couldn't take it anymore. Being cooped up and unable to do anything was driving me nuts. So what do I do? I decided to sneak out to test a new creation of mine. Unfortunately, a certain rookie decided to follow me.

"Y/D, you aren't supposed to be out here." Smokescreen said.

"Neither are you, Smokescreen." I grumbled.

"Look, I know you don't like be because of the whole Elite Guard thing, but just give me a chance. Please?"

"Why are you trying to prove yourself to me of all people?" I asked, looking over to him.

"Because you seem... interesting."

"Interesting?" I asked, cocking an optic ridge.

"Yeah, I have a read on most of the others. Yet you? You are a mystery to me."

"Smokescreen, how am I a mystery?"

"Like, what's with you and Ratchet? What happened to you to have you all... hurt? Why do you distrust the Elite Guard? Who exactly are you? Things like that." He then paused and looked a bit shy. "I guess I just want to know your story."

"It's... complicated. Ratchet and I are sparkmates if you must know. We had a bond, but it was shattered when I was taken by Megatron. Aside from Optimus, he has a weird obsession with me, but instead of being his enemy, he's obsessed with the fact that I have carrier coding. Not like it works, I modified myself to block the coding since I can't get rid of it. His obsession cause my bond with Ratchet to shatter. I was already vulnerable, and the breaking of the bond only made things worse. As for your question on why I distrust the Elite Guard, well, let's just say I'm a wanted criminal in their optics. I created most of the weaponry the Decepticons have. Not by choice, mind you. Most of my creations were made out of curiosity. For example, the Nemesis's defense grid was my construction along with its cloaking technology."

"Maybe the reason Megatron is obsessed with you isn't because of the whole carrier coding thing." Smokescreen said. "Maybe it's because you know too much and could disable the Decepticons from the inside out." I paused what I was doing and gave him a look of astonishment.

"That... makes a ridiculous amount of sense. Huh."

"Y/D! SMOKESCREEN! WHY ARE YOU OUT THERE?!" Ratchet yelled through the comlinks.

"Ah scrap."