58~ the exit

Emma stared at the tiled floor for a few seconds as her head began to fill with different outcomes of their situation. "Let's go. It will never be safe here anymore. The Ratris have found it" Emma said to the children. "Even though there's only eight here, the rest of the Ratri Clan probably already know about the shelter too" Yugo added. "So...we have to abandon the shelter..."Yvette sighed. "Our home..."Mark said with tears in his eyes. "Our garden..." Dominic trailed off. "Our family,living together...." Anna said sadly as they thought of all their hard work that had now no more meaning or purpose.

Yugo stood up from the ground. "Our lives are more important. Besides we've been preparing for this day in case we were ever attacked...I know y/n has" Yugo said, looking at the girl. "More like worrying and stressing about it" y/n sighed,she fiddled with the hem of her shirt before Ray took her hand in his. "We weren't going to stay here forever no matter what happened, right? Our goal is still the human world. Let's work out a plan to secretly escape" Ray said. "We do have secret weapons and supplies packed down here incase of an emergency" Y/n said, pointing to the cupboard beside them full of weapons.

"What about the escape route?" Emma asked. Yugo smirked and moved the cupboard to the side revealing another secret door. "Right here" he said. All the children gasped with relief and excitement. "This shelter has three entry points. Other than the one we always use there are two emergency exits" Yugo explained. "So this is the emergency escape door!" Jemima said. "Correct. Three are seven routes to the emergency exits. One the back of the armory, two the north hallway, three the monitors room, four the reference room, five the bath, six the south hallway and seven the secret room with the telephone. All those routes are well hidden. Even if the intruders get in they won't know about those secret passageways" Yugo said.

Everyone picked up a weapon and put it in a bag on their shoulders along with some bandages and rations of food. "What about our teddy bears and books? We can't go back for them" Alilca said with a frown. "Don't worry I can make you a brand new stuffed animal when we get a new shelter" Gillian smiled and ruffled Alicia's hair. "And I thought you memorised all the books in the library" Emma said. "It's not the same without the pictures..." Alilca said, sadly. "When we escape I'll draw the pictures from the books for you" Y/n said, trying to cheer the girl up while everyone was preparing their bags. Alilca nodded and prepared her bag.

"How are you going to draw if you left your pencils in the kitchen?" Ray asked, standing behind y/n. "I'll figure that out once everyone is safe I was just trying to make Alicia feel better" y/n rolled her eyes, annoyed. "Why are you angry?" Did I do something?" Ray asked, confused at the girls sudden mood change. "I'm just...stressed. I know we are all under attack and in serious danger but I can't help but feel angry. The Ratris who are doing this to us are my family if I like it or not. I almost feel like this is partly my fault...maybe they wouldn't be so heavy on finding us if I wasn't here...maybe the shelter would be okay..." y/n sighed, buttoning the top of her bag. "But it's not your fault. You ran away from them with us, you lived at the shelter with us, cooked meals with me for everyone, taught the Goldy pond children how to read properly and draw. You aren't one of them, you didn't grow up with them. You share a last name, yeah? but we are your family. You've been there for us and you've always been there for me. You aren't a Ratri. Not like them anyways" Ray said, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Thanks Ray" y/n smiled at Ray and hugged him tightly closing her eyes as he hugged her back. "Is everyone ready to go? We're gonna head for the underground path Sonju made. We can escape now as it's dark outside. It will take about a days walk to arrive in the forest properly but we can make it!" Emma announced as everyone turned their heads to her.

"We can manage as long as we are alive. be calm and quick so the won't find us. Let's run" Yugo said,standing next to Emma just at the secret door to the emergency exit.