Chapter 1: An Unexpected Surprise

I felt the darkness around me flip and move me, and saw a hint of light ahead of my still closed eyes. The darkness pressed tighter and tighter around me, becoming more painful with every second until finally, I was pushed through and cried out in relief, my new baby voiced wailing filling the room.

I opened my eyes to look around, to assess my new surroundings, and immediately had to shut them. The shock of being in a real, three-dimensional world once again after being in two animated realms was painful on my eyes and hurt my mind in the process. I cried once again in the pain from the abrupt change, though it just blended in with my newborn baby cries, cries that let the doctors and my new parent's know that I was alive and healthy.

I chanced a slow opening of my eyes again as I was taken by a nurse and cleaned off. I started to calm down, allowing the foreign yet familiar surroundings to be taken in, my mind adapting to the change. I was in a hospital, though it seemed like an older one, with large, clunky devises that seemed really outdated to me. I listened in on the doctors and nurses all talking, and each of them had a British accent but at least spoke English, so I could understand what they were saying easily enough.

"Nurse, put this down for the records. Born at 3.4 kg on today's date of April 17th, 1978." The doctor orders out to the nurse.

If I had the ability to turn my head to look at them in shock, I would. I'm in the past, wherever it is that I am right now. I was born in the 90's the last time I was in the real world, but then again, maybe I'm not actually in the 'real' world. Going off the trend Death set for the last two resurrections, I can assume I did go to another fictional story realm, but that's not a guarantee.

"Sophia? What name should go on record for your new daughter?" The doctor asks the woman in the bed, but I still can't see her because I'm with the nurse.

The nurse must notice that my new mother wants to hold me before naming me, so she picks me up and places me in her arms. I take a good look at the tired woman, but he's not really a woman at all yet. She's only a child, just a young girl, barely 17 or 18 at most. I can't see anyone else around her either, no parents, no husband, just her.

And there's also no other babies here either. I feel myself starting to grow sad at that, because in the last two resurrections I had a twin. I mentally shake that thought, it's better this way. I couldn't replace any of my brothers now, not from any of my resurrections.

My new mother looks down at me with love and adoration, and I feel a bond beginning to form between us. My last mother... Wasn't a good mother at all, and we never formed a bond. My mother from my first resurrection died shortly after holding me after my birth, I can hardly even remember what she looked like, but we had bonded instantly. My first mother I had from my original birth was as bad as my last one, just in different ways, and I never had a bond with her either.

All these experiences with my past mothers are hitting me right now, and I feel myself not wanting to get close to this new one, to safeguard myself away from her should she turn out like the bad mothers from my pasts. I know that's a selfish reaction, but I feel so raw in my heart after leaving my last family so abruptly, I'm not sure I'm ready to open myself for more pain right now.

"Her name is Abigail." My new mother says fondly while looking at me lovingly. "I looked it up, it means 'my father is joyous' or 'bringer of joy'." She says to the nearest nurse who smiles at her indulgently, but also with a bit of pity. "Your dad is going to love you so much." She says back to me softly. "And the middle name is Nova, because she's a bright and shining new little gift, and it also reminds me of your dad's name." She tells the nurse, but the last part was directed at me in a cooing voice.