Chapter 31: Professor Lupin

The first week into the start of summer, Remus got a letter from Dumbledore offering him the position of Defense teacher. I was really touched that the first thing he did was tell me in private, even before telling Dad.

"I know I never wanted to know about my future in your stories, but I was just offered a teaching position at Hogwarts. In the cursed position of the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." Remus says with a knowing and scared look, and I just grin at him in confirmation.

"And you become the greatest teacher we ever had." I reply back reassuringly, watching the glimmer of hope form in his eyes. "Don't worry, you aren't affected by the curse... too badly. You resign at the end of the year voluntarily, though it's after Snape outs you as a werewolf to his whole house. But that only happens because of a series of other events. My suggestion would be to only offer to teach for one year. That way, it keeps the trend going and protects you from the curse." I offer up to him.

"Is this why you never talk about this year of school from the stories?" He asks me skeptically.

"Well, that and the fact that the main 'antagonist' in this year was Sirius Black, the escaped deranged convict, but obviously that won't happen." I roll my eyes with a lazy grin. "So really, this will be an uneventful year. No teachers or beasts that I need to kill this time! Might spend my free time just hanging out instead of plotting murder and mayhem." I smirk lazily at him, knowing my expression looks just like Dad's when he's confident.

"It's your OWL year, you'll spend your free time studying, I promise." He counters with a smug smile. "I'll make sure you're assigned challenging work. Don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're my niece."

"Wouldn't dream of it!" I reply with an innocent chuckle. "I want to be all powerful, so throw it all at me." I add genuinely.

"Ok mighty warrior, I'm going to tell your dad about this new job now." He says happily with a roll of his eyes. "And we're still not telling him about the Basilisk?" He asks again.

"No." I say quickly, shaking my head fast. "I don't want to see the look of fear in his eyes again unless I have to. He burst into the school last time I did something dangerous, and it's not worth the brag, I don't like seeing him scared. I'll brag after I tell him the whole truth. Not that there's really much to brag, in the stories Harry actually killed the snake in a real fight with a sword, it was way more epic than lame old roosters." I chuckle out happily.

"How is Harry doing, compared to your stories?" He asks me casually.

"He's happy." I say with a soft grin. "He's genuinely so happy. He didn't have to spend the year being ostracized by his peers and feared. He had fun, maybe a little too much fun, his grades weren't great and he spent a lot of time with Ron slacking off. I might need to give him lessons privately next year, to get his reflexes and skills up a bit. I've taken away two life changing fights for him, he's a little... soft. Almost like a real child instead of the hero of the story." I joke out. "I'll toughen up the marshmallow next year, my gut says he'll still need to do the final fight with Voldy. The prophecy is still about him, I'll make sure he's ready."

"We both will." He says firmly with a smile. "I'll give him extra lessons as well."

"You do that in the story. You help him create a Patronus. But I don't know how without him having faced a Dementor before, his boggart won't turn into that." I observe, seeing the minor change/flaw in my plans. A small sacrifice to pay though.

"His boggart is a Dementor?" He asks in surprise. "His fear is fear itself. What was yours?"

"Don't know, I had Quirrell during boggarts lesson for third year, he never brought one in." I admit to him and he nods in understanding. "I can think of many things that haunt my nightmares though. I don't think mine would be a Dementor because of the fear aspect, but it would probably be one because of the kiss, I am rather attached to my soul. I won't know until I face a boggart though." I shrug casually. "Then again, I've suffered through numerous fears and potentially one of those could be my boggart." I frown, knowing who it will likely become.