Chapter 36: Civil Slytherins

The year passed on calmly in comparison to the books. Dad rejoiced when I came home for the holidays, but Harry had stayed behind this time to hang out with his friends since both of them were staying behind, but we arranged for Remus to take him to Hogsmeade on Christmas Eve so we could all spend it together, especially since Remus was also staying at Hogwarts. 

I didn't care though, I was spending the whole break with Dad. I missed him as much as he missed me while I was gone. We decided to also take advantage of it being just the two of us and went skiing at a resort for a few days together in Switzerland, which was a hell of an experience. The last time I was in that country I had been racing against the clock to save the world from the League of Villain's. This time I just chased Dad, who was mysteriously good at skiing despite his claims of never having been before. Then again, so was I, but he's used to me being mysteriously good at everything by now. 

We also went to see Nightmare Before Christmas in the theatres since it was newly released this year. Dad absolutely loved the movie, and it was about the one Halloween related thing I still liked, so we had an enjoyable daddy/daughter date. For Christmas, Dad got me a bunch of my comics I like, and I got him some owl-ordered German beers and some treats that he loves. 

It was an incredibly relaxing holiday, and I didn't want to leave to go back to my OWLs, but eventually Dad reluctantly made me. We procrastinated so much together on going back that we missed the train back to school and we had to take the Floo network, which just gave us more time to procrastinate, just together in Hogsmeade this time before the train arrived and I actually had to go back to school.

"Hello Tom." I greet my captive airily one February day. I've been studying far too much for the OWLs, and my brain could use a break so I decided to check on the evil mini Dark Lord.

"Hello, Ms. Abigail." Tom says lightly, walking over to our usual spots in the treehouse. "What can I do for you today?"

"Honestly, you can be a distraction." I tell him truthfully and he tilts his head slightly in observation.

"From what?" He asks with little interest.

"OWLs studying." I say with a tired chuckle. He pauses mid-way through taking a sip of his tea to look at me with slightly raised eyebrows. "What?" I ask, noting his look of surprise.

"That's so... mundane." He admits with a smirk. "I have grown to expect far more gruesome topics with you, not school exams."

"Yes, the ever so mundane wizarding exams, with magic and fantastic beasts and poisons." I say sarcastically.

"Well, you are a witch, what other exams would you be taking at your age?" He says, a slightly predatory look in his eyes. I've not exactly been subtle that my life experiences don't match my 15 year old body. I simply smirk at him and don't answer, instead taking a sip of my tea and closing my eyes in relaxation. He sighs out lightly at not getting his answer. "What are your courses that are troubling you?"

I look at him curiously for his question. "I, unlike you, do not live in the past, so History is my least favorite topic. That and Astronomy, I just don't care about the stars." I admit to him. "However, all my other courses I'm the top, especially Care of Magical Creatures and Ancient Runes, though there are only 4 of us in the Runes class, we're all equally doing well."

"Our history is important, it shaped what our society is today." He lectures lightly. I just give him a raised, judgmental eyebrow and he sighs out again. "Is Kettleburn still the teacher for the Beasts course?"

"He was." I say in slight surprise that he was teaching even back in Tom's time. Then I got a wicked, devious thought and grinned evilly at the boy. "You won't believe who the new teacher at Hogwarts for it is though. I almost feel as if I shouldn't tell you, it might be too cruel." I laugh darkly at the irony of the situation.