Chapter 43 Alexei

Dad did come and have words with Dumbledore, but he was less angry than I thought he would be, and the confrontation was in privacy. He was more on the concerned side that Harry had been entered at all, less so concerned about his competing. He told me how he voiced his concerns about Moody to Dumbledore too, mentioning the break in and Remus getting attacked. Dad had faith that Harry would do fine in the tournament. I got to see him for a little bit while he was here, which was nice. He asked me to look out for Harry and help him, which I reassured him that I would do.

Fake Moody is sadly still around. I've tried breaking into his office a few more times, but got caught by him on one of the last attempts. He at least just thought I was trying to prank him, so he only gave me detention, but it could have been worse. He was pointing his wand at me and everything, and as good as I think I am, I might not actually win in a duel with him.

Unsurprisingly, the whole school minus Gryffindor was against Harry, and by extension of him, all of Gryffindor. I was a nice exception with my friends at least, we all held a good natured attitude about Harry having 'stolen Cedric's thunder'. Adrian had some snide comments to make, but none of them had any real venom to them, and I still slapped him upside the head a few times to get him to shut it. 

Draco's buttons started to circulate that said to 'Support Cedric Diggory' and 'Potter Stinks'. I found them rude, but honestly cleverer than anything Draco has done before, so I had to give him props for at least using his brain.

"Draco." I smirk at the young boy who's hanging out with Blaise and some other friends in the courtyard in between classes.

"Hello cousin, come to get a pin? I know you're best mates with Diggory, might as well support him over the false champion." Draco says proudly.

"I don't have to wear a button to support either of them, but I must say, clever design on the switching buttons. You're finally using your brain for once! Even if it is still to be a prat, at least you're being clever." I say cheerily as I ruffle his hair. "Of course, at the end of the day, we just want one of them to win, since it will be a Hogwarts victory that way."

"Are you seriously going to root for both?" He asks in disbelief.

"Of course I am, I'm not going to play favorites between my best friend and my god-brother. I'm going to prank them both equally." I say confidently.

"Support them both equally?" He corrects me on reflex, then realizes my arrogant smirk. "Oh good one, let Potter suffer a little bit. Do his head some good to be taken down a notch."

"Your little buttons are certainly doing that just fine." I say, poking his button and making it switch back to the Cedric part. "Don't be too in his face about this now, he may end up being your champion winner, I'm sure you wouldn't want to end up having to eat your words, now would you?" I smile predatorily at him and he groans.

"Fine, I won't go 'out of my way' to taunt him. I'll only do it when I see him." He compromises.

"Well, can't ask for miracles, so I'll take what I can get. A shame you two aren't friends, but then again, your rivalry does entertain me endlessly." I smile at him and he scoffs at the friends part.

"So glad I could entertain you, cousin." He grumbles out and I wrap him in a hug. He complains loudly because he's surrounded by all his friends, but I don't care and I know he secretly likes them.

I walk away to join Alicia and Angelina who are studying together on the other side of the courtyard when the dozen or so Durmstrang students walk past. It's the first time I've taken a real look at them, and it's easier since they aren't in those oversized fur cloaks anymore. I spot one in the crowd of them who makes me do a double take.