Chapter 10: Lessons

Bruce came back on Monday morning at breakfast in the Great Hall with a freaking Howler. He dropped it off and then flew under my robe to rest, too lazy or tired to go to his perch in my room. I looked at the Howler in confusion along with Fred and George, wondering what I did to already get one. I opened it before it could burst into flames at the table, and a loud booming voice filled the hall.

"I AM SO BLOODY PROUD OF YOU, ABIGAIL BLACK!!! GRYFFINDOR!!! THAT'S MY GIRL!!" Dad's voice fills the entire great hall, jovially happy. The letter itself is smoking and burning up, but his laughter and happiness is filling the room as we all are laughing with it. "Sorry Minnie, she's your problem now!" He adds on, and I glance up at McGonagall who is shaking her head in shock and disappointment.

"Princess, we are very proud of you, well done." Remus adds on, much quieter but still audible to everyone. I beam at the burning letter, happy my dad and uncle cared enough to send a bloody Howler to yell at me about their happiness. 

I hear everyone in the hall laughing, so I stand up on my seat and curtsey to everyone, sending a cheeky wave out. The twins both cheer for me, then stand and bow to me comically as I sit back down and we all continue our breakfast. That's one way to make a reputation at school. 

I don't have time to take Bruce up to my room before lessons, so he's just going to have to come with me today. McGonagall hands out our timetables to everyone, and I look at mine with the other first years. We all have the same schedule, which is convenient. Tonks came over and grinned at me, and we caught up for a few minutes before I left for class.

Our first class of the day was Herbology, which we had with Slytherin, and had them again for Transfiguration right after. After lunch, we had History of Magic with Ravenclaw, then Defense with Hufflepuff. I looked ahead at our schedules, Mondays was the busiest day just in back to back classes. Wednesday was the longest day, with Herbology and History in the morning, double Defense in the afternoon, then double Astronomy with Ravenclaw at 11 at night. We only had that late class once a week, so it wasn't so bad, and it was at least followed by a study hall in the next morning. I was happy to see Flying lessons were on a double period on Saturday mornings, and we would have them with Hufflepuff. We had Potions with Ravenclaw on Tuesdays and a double on Friday, which I'm looking forward to, but dreading how much Snape is going to hate me. It's not like my dad attempted to kill him or anything in Hogwarts when they went together, I'm sure Snape will totally treat me fairly. Not. 

Fred, George and I spent the weekend before classes started exploring the whole castle, getting to know where all our classes are and already found several secret passageways by just moving tapestries or portraits. When they got distracted with hanging out with Lee, I went off and found the Room of Requirement by myself on the seventh floor. It took some time since I couldn't remember exactly where it was, but after about an hour of wandering I finally found it. I thought really hard about needing a training room, and one appeared for me. It was wonderful, had boxing bags, cushioned mats, a simple weight rack, and a sparring dummy. There was also a ranged target set up, but it only appeared once I thought about wanting to practice with my knives. The room was amazing, and I planned to keep it for myself for now. Mostly because I wanted to see how long it would take to irritate the twins for when I would disappear several times a week. I already added in training times into the schedule as soon as I received it.

During Herbology I stood in between Fred and Alicia, and it was a fun class. Thankfully, Remus already grew a small herbs section at our cottage and we've been tending to some of these plants for a while. It was interesting to learn about some of the different benefits of each magical plant though. The Slytherins all kept to their own side, just as Gryffindor did. For this class, we didn't have much need to interact since it naturally split us in half.