Chapter 71: New Life

Oskar was a grieving mess. He wouldn't eat or take care of himself, and he started to ask by the second week why he had to wait the whole month. He wanted to be done with it all now. I've stopped him from rampaging and destroying his house in anguish, I've stopped him from ending himself twice, and I've offered him council every day over this month. I debated on letting him use the resurrection stone to speak with his wife, but figured that would do more harm than good, and would be selfish of me to call her spirit here to just have to send her back and make him grieve more. 

I talked with him every day, learning about his life and his hopes and dreams he had. He didn't really have much of a bucket list, the only things on it revolved around Sarah. He had wanted a family with her above all else. It made me start to feel guilty to my core because the likelihood that I was actually the one to kill her was fairly high. He wasn't a stupid man though, and word had spread far and wide about my actions in the war, he likely knew it was me, even if we couldn't prove it. When it came to the end of the month, I finally felt the need to probe that question.

"Why are you doing this for me?" I ask as we are sitting together on his porch, his cup of tea long since gone cold from where it just sat in his clutches, never having been drank by him. It's night out, and a clear and warm evening with a light breeze, I figured he would benefit from looking out at the stars for the evening. He has been doing that, the ever present sorrow etched into his eyes as he stares wistfully at the bright nights sky.

"Does it matter why?" He replies blandly.

"I think it does." I say back. "I know that you heard about me during the war."

"That you may have been the one to kill them? To kill her?" He says back bluntly. "Yes, I'm aware. I am not so lost that I don't understand that. But I also know they fought on the losing side. You were fighting for what was right, you were protecting your friends and family. I cannot be mad at that. I will find it fitting though that if my wife and brother died at your hands, then I too shall die by your hands." His words struck my heart, and I looked away from him guiltily. There was no anger in his words, he never really carried any emotion this month, but I still felt the gravity of it.

"I wish I could tell you why I need someone to do this." I say truthfully, and he surprisingly chuckles at that, showing the first spark of feelings since he talked about Sarah on my couch a month ago.

"I have my theories." He says lightly, again looking to the stars, but a loving look on his face this time. "I know the type of feeling you have right now. There is only one thing strong enough to drive someone as good as you to make this request of another. I won't say it out loud and risk your spell, but know that I hope that I am right. Life is not worth living without it, and I prey that this works for you." He says genuinely, then falls silent for a moment. "Tomorrow will be one month. Have you gathered all you need?"

"I have." I admit, my mind and heart fluttering with his admission. "Will you be ready tomorrow?"

"I have been ready since the first day, Abigail." He says plainly, a tired tone taking over. "Each additional day has been agony."

"I am sorry, I needed to make sure you wouldn't regret this decision." I admit to him. "We will have to travel, I will go and make the preparations now." I stand then, placing a hand on his shoulder and squeezing it firmly. "Thank you, Oskar." I say with as much sincerity as I can so he can understand that I appreciate what he is doing.

"I hope you achieve what you are attempting." He says with matching sincerity. "I am ready to be with my wife again."

I walk back inside and send Bruce off with a letter to Snape at Hogwarts, also telling Bruce to stay there after he delivers it. I take out the diary then to tell Tom it's time.