Chapter 17: Fluffy

"I can't believe you're taking Ancient Runes." Fred complains to me after viewing our new schedules the next morning at breakfast.

"Literally no one else in Gryffindor is taking it. You'll probably be stuck with a load of Ravenclaws and bored out of your mind. You should have just taken Muggle Studies, gotten the easy grade with us and Lee. You're usually all about the easy work!" George adds on, also complaining.

"Pass. I already know enough about muggles, I don't need a wizard to teach me about muggles." I say dismissively, knowing so much more about muggles than anyone here could ever teach me. "Come on, we at least have Care of Magical Creatures together."

This is the first year of our electives, and our group of Gryffindors are being spread out. We all checked our schedules together, and so far, I really am the only one taking Ancient Runes. Alicia is in Divination with Kenneth, Lee, and Angelina. She's also taking Arithmancy with Kenneth. Kenneth is the only one taking four classes for electives, everything but Runes. Angelina is in Magical Creatures with me, Lee, and the twins.

My schedule overall was different than the last two years. It was fuller, and those study halls that used to fill our schedules up were now a lot less 'optional' than they were in the past, if our workload was anything to go by. Overall our schedules were very irregular this term and more demanding. Astronomy had moved to Tuesday evening late at night, and I had one of my Ancient Runes class after dinner on Thursdays. There was also a note that on the full moon nights each month there would be an additional Care of Magical Creatures class, likely in order to observe lunar animals. 

We also switched up who we had our classes with, which was going to throw off my rhythm, but at least I still had History with Ravenclaw, otherwise I would have lost my napping buddy. I now had Defense and Potions with Slytherin. History, Astronomy and Herbology were with Ravenclaw, and Transfiguration and Charms with Hufflepuff. The electives were all mixed together, so I'll find out later in the week who all is in them.

Herbology was in Greenhouse Three now, which had more dangerous plants in them. This was proven at the start of our first class when Fred poked at a vine and it whipped him across his face and cut it. Professor Sprout handed me a salve to put on it and just left me to handle it, which was fine. He didn't need the hospital, but he glared at the vine hard while I watched the weird salve close his wound. I swiped home of the salve for future use, wondering at it's fast reaction. 

I got to sit with Cedric in Transfiguration, it was funny we both made a beeline for a seat together. He's coming into his good looks nowadays, and his fellow Hufflepuff girls are already fawning over him. I'm still one of his best friends though, and he loves to partner with me whenever he can, and I don't fawn over him. I like hanging out with him because he's very kind and quiet, and rather skilled with his spells and intelligent. It actually surprised me he wasn't a Ravenclaw, but he's so friendly to everyone even if he's quiet that it made sense he's a badger. 

In Potions I again formed a table of three with the twins. I stayed behind after class in order to talk to Snape.

"Professor?" I ask quietly, approaching Snape's desk as he's sorting through papers.

"Yes, Ms. Black?" Snape says shortly to me, not looking up from his work.

"I was wondering if you would be available during this year for... specialty lessons?" I ask nervously, knowing how much he still doesn't like me.

"Why would I go out of my way to spend more time in your presence?" He sneered at me. I sigh, I thought we had moved past our animosity, but then again, now there's two Marauder's children at Hogwarts, he must be extra pissed.