Chapter 16: Harry's Past Revealed

"Alright Harry, it's time we had a talk." Dad says seriously to the boy. It's evening now, we've finished our shopping for him and are in the Leaky Cauldron again, only this time we are in a private room that the innkeeper has. "It's about... everything. How you're famous, how Abigail is famous, about me."

"It's all connected, isn't it?" Harry asks quietly, clearly having pieced it together. "It's about my parents."

"Yes, Harry, it is about them." Dad sighs, then begins to explain. "I was best friends with James, your father. He was practically my brother, his own parents even took me in when my parents kicked me out when I was 16. He made me your godfather when you were born, just as I had made him godfather to Abby when she came into my life." He smiled at me softly, which I returned. "He was killed by an evil wizard, Harry. Voldemort was his name, though people even to this day don't say his name anymore. Voldemort caused a war, and it lasted for over 10 years. Hundreds if not thousands were killed, both wizard and muggle alike. Even Abigail's mother was a casualty of the war, and her only crime was being a muggle." He gripped my hand for that. We never found out which Death Eater killed her. "Voldemort set out to kill your parents, they were a part of a resistance group who fought against him. And he wanted to kill you, too."

"Me? Why would he try to kill me?" Harry asks in frustration, sad at hearing about this.

"No one knows-" Dad starts to tell him a lie, and I cut him off.

"There was a prophecy." I interject firmly, receiving a look from Dad. "Voldemort tried to kill you because of a prophecy, one he never even heard himself. He was just told about it by one of his followers who overheard a part of it."

"What did the prophecy say?" Harry asks me urgently.

"Don't know the specifics, but basically, you would be born with the power to destroy him." I sum up shortly, not remembering all the specifics, and also not wanting him to get the wrong idea he has to go off on a quest. "And you did. He tried to kill you, and it backfired and killed him instead. It even caused a huge explosion and blew up half the house, that part was a shock."

"How do you know that about the explosion?" He asks curiously after a moment of frustrated silence.

"I was there." I say in a whisper after I sigh. "I was there that night. I was only three, but I was the only one to witness the entire night. That's why everyone knows me, I'm the girl who saw it all. I even... I even tried to fight him. I used your dad's wand, but the spells wouldn't work for me." I frown in frustration, still angry at myself for my multiple failures. "I was either too young or the wand rejected me. Voldemort... he froze me in place, and made me listen. Harry, I'm so sorry I couldn't stop him. I'm sorry I couldn't get the wand to your dad fast enough. He died protecting me, and your mum died protecting you. And I'm just s-so s-sorry." I break into tears, feeling horrible. There had to be some way to save them, I'm sure there was something more I could have done.

"Princess, you were three, and you did your absolute best. I'm just thankful you weren't killed that night too." Dad pulls me into a hug, then slings his other arm around Harry's shoulder. "Harry, I'm so sorry we let it happen. James and Lily... they were betrayed by a friend of ours. We ignored the signs and warnings, and let him be the one to hide them away. We assumed Voldemort would come for me, since I was their best friend, that I would be the obvious choice of who was protecting them. But he didn't, he didn't even need to. Our former friend, Peter, gave him the answers willingly." He looks at me, regret in his eyes. He still blames himself for not listening to me then. "We were even told not to trust him, but we did anyway. I trusted him less and less towards the end, and even tried to get them to change to me, but your dad didn't want me to risk Abigail getting caught in the danger." Dad adds quietly. He admitted this to me years ago, but it still makes me sad. It was after I was thrown into the wall and knocked out by Peter that Dad lost his full trust in Peter, but then again, he was losing trust in everyone back then. "It was a dark time, we didn't know who to trust. Good witches and wizards were being manipulated to turn on their allies often back then."