Chapter 25: House Elves and Snakes

Dad and I never heard from Harry during the first two weeks of summer. Dad was concerned that Harry maybe had changed his mind about wanting to stay with us, but I reassured him that he did want to be with us. So now, after exactly two weeks, Dad and I are pulling up on the motorcycle to Number 4, Privet Drive in the early evening. 

Dad strolls up casually to the front door and knocks on it loudly. When Vernon answers the door, he slams it shut again in fear, instantly recognizing us. Dad grins at me and forces his way through the door with magic, though not making a scene as much as last time.

"Hello, muggles." Dad says lazily to the sputtering muggles who are backing away from him. We hear footsteps up the stairs running towards us, and spot Harry looking relieved at the sight of us. "Harry! We hadn't heard from you, so we figured we'd pop round to see if you were alright." He says with a threatening edge to the Dursley's, all of whom were retreating away from us.

"They uh... locked up Hedwig as soon as I got home." Harry replies impishly, and Dad turns a hardened glare towards the shrinking muggles.

"Really?" Dad asks, pointing his wand threateningly at them. "Well, I guess I'll just offer again verbally. Want to stay with us for the rest of summer?" He says towards Harry, his wand still pointed at the terrified Dursley's.

"Now see here, you sir are breaking and entering into my house!" Vernon finally found his voice, and his fear turned to anger at our intrusion.

"I warned you not to interfere with Harry's things. It seems our year apart has caused you to forget. Now, I did promise a matching snout to go with that tail, didn't I?" Dad growls out dangerously, turning the wand tip to Dudley who was attempting to hide behind his twig of a mother, though he was easily three times her width.

"We... we...." Vernon tries to counter out, but can't form a sentence due to the fear.

"Yes, good plan to block his communication with the people who are more than happy to take Harry away from you for a whole 'nother year." I add in sarcastically, giving them a plain but knowing look. I smirked when I saw the lightbulb go off in their minds.

"Hurry up boy, I want you and these freaks out of my house, immediately!" Vernon turns and yells at Harry, and I walk up the stairs casually to help Harry pack as the boy runs to his room. Vernon unlocks the cupboard under the stairs and points at Harry's trunk and broom for Dad to grab, and Dad magic's the trunk to float upstairs for us to pack up.

"Hello Hedwig." I greet the poor owl, using a basic lockpicking set to open her padlock easily, and letting her out of her cage. "You remember the cottage? Head there, we'll be staying there the rest of summer." I tell her before letting her out of the window.

"How did you do that?" Harry asks me in awe. "You didn't use magic at all!"

"Ah, yes, Princess here is rather crafty. Hasn't met a lock she couldn't pick. Bloody headache trying to keep gifts hidden from her because of that." Dad says casually with a light glare at my innocent grin. 

"Did you really expect me to wait until Hogwarts to start breaking into places?" I smirk at the grinning boy.

Dad flicks his wand and makes all Harry's stuff zoom into the open trunk as I grab the empty cage. None of Harry's clothes were folded in the trunk, just rather thrown together in chaos. I shoot Dad a haughty and judgmental look at his lazy work, and he rolls his eyes but redoes the spell, this time making the clothes at least half-folded and neater.  

We walk down the stairs, seeing the Dursley's still plastered against the wall, unsure whether they wanted to flee from us or monitor us closely. 

"Thank you for your cooperation, Dursley's. Though if we hear next year that his owl is locked up or his supplies were kept away from him like this, the consequences will be dire." I threaten, summoning a blade and tossing it casually in my hands.