Chapter 30: Secrets Revealed

The term went by smoothly after the whole roosters prank. I brewed a fresh batch of Veritaserum since I was doubting the potency of my old one. After sitting around for over a year, it had started to turn a little cloudy instead of its perfect clear when fresh. I was apparently supposed to store it somewhere dark, which unfortunately I didn't know, so I had to make a fresh batch. I learned this from a casual conversation with Snape, which made him suspicious why I needed the serum, and he's been eyeing me cautiously since then. Brewing the potion was easier this time, and it would be ready in time for the end of year feast. 

Lockhart was going around bragging about all the important people he had invited to it, and I feel like Dumbledore probably somehow magically knows I'm about to destroy this man's career, otherwise I doubt he would have allowed 20 outsiders into Hogwarts for the feast. The twins and I are working together on this prank, as per usual, though their role is less incriminating should anything backfire. 

Our exams went well for the year, Roger being the only reason I passed History yet again, and our little group of four doing excellent on our Runes final. Our teacher praised us for being one of her smartest classes she's gotten to teach this topic to. I was glad I did the whole rooster and Basilisk thing earlier in the year, because the amount of work the teachers piled onto us was insane. 

Our best, or at least most interesting, class final though ended up being Care of Magical Creatures. Kettleburn had managed to secure us a Chimaera to study, and it was both hideous and captivating. The beast had the head of a lion, a body of a goat, and the long slithering tail of a dragon. It tried numerous times to kill us all, and eventually got a good chunk out of Kettleburn's half of an arm he had left, biting it off completely up to the shoulder. About 8 of us shot stunning spells at the beast to knock it out and then we had to rush the Professor to the hospital. He was laid out in the hospital for the rest of term after losing the chunk of his arm. It made sense on how Hagrid becomes the teacher next year, since now Kettleburn was left with only half of his other arm and two fake legs.

Draco I had noticed spent a lot of the second half of this school year with Blaise again, and even with some Ravenclaw girl I didn't know in his year. I was proud of him for branching away from his cronies and bettering himself, and let him know it frequently when I saw him. Even Hermione admitted that Draco was as good at Potions as her, and I don't remember him being particularly gifted at that before. I had partnered with Draco once during dueling club, just to gauge his skills. He has creative spells and is quick in thinking of them, but I still slaughtered him in just efficiency and talent. 

I could see similar improvements with Neville. He has been growing nicely this year in his confidence, and Harry told me Neville's the best in Herbology in their year. I still help him on occasions with his homework, just like I do for Ron or Harry, but he needs less and less guidance.

I knew all year that Percy was dating Penelope Clearwater, which he was trying to keep a secret for some reason, and since I'm such a good friend, I kept it quiet for him. I let him know in less than subtle hints that I knew about his girlfriend, which for some reason he didn't want anyone to know about. It was strange to me he wanted to hide it, not just from his family but from everyone, but to each their own, and I can appreciate wanting privacy. I still never told the twins about her, though I totally will in the train ride home. But that all comes after our wonderful end of year feast that I was genuinely excited for. 

Before the feast could happen though, I sadly got a summons to go to the headmaster and I knew that couldn't be good.

"You wanted to see me, Professor?" I ask politely as I walk into Dumbledore's office before the end of year feast.