Forty One

Chapter 41

{Listening to big-tailed fish when writing, blue whisper's OST}

Zaccheus begrudgingly left his sleeping mate's side, looking at her again before sighing and walking out of the room. He left the cottage and saw the nobles outside, grumbling among one another.

He massaged his pounding head and raised his hand up, which silenced them, and he closed his eyes tiredly, "Let's go to the pack house," he murmured, dismissing them. He had half of the idea why they came, but the other half was unknown.

"What do you think they want to talk about?" Zeke asked while Alec looked at the retreating shadows of them.

"Let's go," Zaccheus said. Without much hassle as walking, he teleported to the packhouse, and he didn't want any delay in going back to his mate.

He sat on his throne. Zeke stood at his left side while Alec stood at the right side and the delta, waiting for the king's command.

The nobles entered the throne room, making a noise as they argued with one another.

"King," they bowed, showing their submission, while Zaccheus nodded.

"So?" he asked.

The nobles shuffled, looking at themselves, waiting for who could talk about their internal issue.

"My King," the goblin Lord gulped, bowing in respect. "We all know about the rumours going around about the Queen and —" he paused, looking at the back, as others urged him to continue. "and we can forgo the attempt of murder of the King—" others cheered him to continue. He immediately knelt, "please do remove her from the throne and throw her in the asylum," he articulated.

A shocking gasp escaped the delta and beta's mouths while Alec's face scrunched in confusion. Nothing could be heard after that, only the shaking breathing sound of the goblin lord.

The king stood from his seat and held his stomach as his body shook with laughter; this was the first time they heard their king's laughter. But toward the end, the laughter turned sinister as the king took step after step toward the kneeling subject. The room was cold, as the thunder was clashing with each other.

"I should throw my mate away?" the voice—animalistic voice of his shook the throne room as they craned their necks showing submission, "I should —"

"I don't mean that my King," the goblin Lord trembling as Zaccheus grabbed him by his neck, raising him up as he tightened his hold on his neck.

"How dare you!" he bellowed, the room temperature dropped again, "How dare you fucking suggest —" the goblin lord's face was turning purple with lack of air as Zaccheus's fangs protruded and his claws dug into the Lord's flesh.

As the Lord gasped for air, the throne room was yanked open, and a guard entered. He didn't even flinch or turn his head when the door was opened as the guard came to him.

"The cottage is burning," he cried out in panic, and the king's strength flattered, throwing the Lord across the room as he ran out, his heart thumping in fear. He was praying and wishing for the safety of his mate.

***

Nadazhda felt her head pounding as she squinted her sight to take on where she was. She was in an unfamiliar place, and her hands were chained to the wall as rays of light came in through the small window.

She sighed, looking at her locked hands, and wondered if she was still in the nightmare as usual. She pulled the chain, seen firmly strongly clasped. This was the first time I had a dream in a place like this.