Forty

Chapter 40

In the eery silence... In the darkest place...

Her shadow blends with the abyss of darkness...

Screaming her lungs out...

Fighting the unknown with her feeble attempts...

Banging the door of consciousness with her trembling hands...

But No one heard or answered...

Until she fades away...

Drown in the pit of darkness.....

He feels useless...

What's the essence of being powerful yet feeling helpless?...

He stares long at her with sadness lurking behind his brown orbs...

What's the meaning of being powerful when just a whimper from her could make him crumble?...

When a smile from her could make his cold dead heart flutter...

He's known to be fearless, but the thought of losing her makes him terrified…

****

The news of the Queen being crazy ran like spitfire everywhere around the axis of the realm. The castle was tense. No word about the queen was said, the workers scurried away whenever the King was coming.

Nadazha sat at the corner of the room with her hair disheveled as she shook her head vigorously, gently hitting her head on the wall.

“Love,” Zaccheus called softly, staring at his mate. He took a step forward to touch her, only to have her scream.

“Don't come near me,” she shouted, her eyes widened in fear as her shoulders tensed.

“Sweetheart—” he tried again, “I'm not touching you,” he said softly, reassuring her as his beasts whimpered in distress for their mate. The routine had been going on for weeks after the incident, and she had been cooped inside, hardly eating the meals that were served or meeting anyone even though she was afraid of her own mate.

“I'm not crazy,” she cried. "I'm perfectly fine!” she hissed loudly, raising her head, staring at his worried-filled eyes.

“Baby…”

“Don't sweet talk me,” she mumbled, “you believe I'm crazy also,” she accused, looking everywhere for any sign of danger.

“No baby,” Zaccheus said.

Nadazhda stumbled on her feet, her breathing heavy, ”everything is crumbling!” she screamed, hitting her head.

Ryl whimpered sadly, seeing the distressed look of his mate, and was unable to do anything. He had never felt so powerless in his life, yet he felt this. He couldn't do anything.

Nadazhda was restless. Everything had turned upside down, people were whispering, and she could hear everything. She wasn’t crazy, but no one believed her; she could see the concern in her mate’s eyes.

Die! she heard the dark voice tickling her nape, making the hair on her nape stand in fear. She whipped her head around and saw nothing. She fiddled with her fingers and heard the voice again, making her scream and run from the corner.

Nadazhda scrambled on her feet, trying to escape what she didn't know as Zaccheus ran after. He held her from behind and hugged her but was pushed away with a force he never thought she could muster.