How to Pay - Part 1 - Book Four

Chapter Thirty-Four (Part 1)

——Y/n's POV——

I couldn't sleep tonight in the hospital, while Steve, Levin, and Leona slept all I could do was think. Think about how to pay back Steve. I know he said not to worry about paying him, but I can't help but wonder, what does he want from this

After another moment of compilation, I realized that I could just ask Steve what he wants for this. 

"Yeah, I like that idea" I thought to myself.

Once I finished my thought I walked out of Leona's hospital room and snuck to the floor, holding my head in my hands. I started just bawling my eyes out, I know that was stupid, but I couldn't let Levin or Leona see me like this, a mess

After five minutes of aggressive crying I tried to calm myself down, I remembered the song Aaron would always play on his guitar. I started softly singing, 'where the north wind meets the sea, there's a river full of memory. Sleep my darling, safe and sound'.

As I repeated the same short melody, I noticed that Steve was sitting beside me and was softly humming along with me.

After I noticed him, he turned to me and said "Darling, come over here"

Once he said that I moved closer to him before he put his arm around me. I rested my head on his shoulder, the faint sound of his heartbeat easing my mind ever so slightly. Steve lightly grabbed one side of my face and brought it to his lips, and pressed a gentle kiss to my temple.

"Darling, I already said that you don't have to pay me. So, why are you clearly stressing about it?" Steve asked me, still holding me close.

"Because I know if I don't pay you back somehow, then you'll always be expecting me to pay you back. Whether it's with money, or with my bo-" I was saying before Steve cut me off.

"If you really want to pay me back then? Well, I know how you can pay" Steve cut me off with.

"Tell me! I'll do anything!" I exclaimed to Steve.

"Marry me" Steve said in monotone voice.

I froze for a second, I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. I mean, would he really want to marry me after not even a week of dating?

I took a deep breath before saying, "I'll marry you, but, can you propose? I know it's silly, but I've always wanted a proposal"

"Say no more" he said as he got on one knee "Y/n Y/ln, I promise to love you every moment of forever. Would you do me the extraordinary honour of marrying you"

I laughed lightly at Steve's proposal before saying, "Yes"

I wrapped my arms around Steve and hugged him tight. I know that just a few minutes ago we were dating, but I'm still wondering 'do I actually love him?'. I mean, I know I shouldn't be dating him if I don't know for sure love him, but Levin and Leona love him, and they need a father figure besides Wayne. 

"Would I choose to love Steve just for Levin and Leona?" I asked to myself while still holding onto Steve.

Before I could continue to question my life, Steve picked me up and carried me back into Leona's room. He sat down on one of the two chairs and sat me in his lap. I naturally wrapped my arms around his neck and set my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat once again. After a few minutes of sitting on Steve, I slowly drifted off to sleep, still thinking about what I've just done with my life.

*You slept for around five to six hours before you were awakened by Steve softly running his hands threw your hair*

"Steve, what are you doing?" I asked him groggily.

"You were shaking, and Billy mentioned that it calms you down" Steve explained to me.

I can't believe that Billy remembered that, and nonetheless mentioned it to Steve. I mean, Billy hasn't had to calm my down like that in almost a decade. More importantly though, 'why did Billy tell him in the first place'? And just before I could say anything to Steve, Leona's doctor came in to check on her.

"How was Leona last night?" Dr. Keery asked me as he entered the room.

"She seemed to me doing well, she slept all night so clearly not in any extreme pain" I explained to him.

"Ok, well that's a good sign. We have to run some post-surgery tests, just some blood work and a few others. So, when she wakes up page the nurse over, and then we'll start the blood work" Dr. Keery said before leaving the room.

I turned to Steve and asked him,  "Steve, once they take Leona, would you be okay if I take Levin home while you stay here to with Leona?" 

"I see and have no problem with that" Steve told me.

Before I could thank Steve, I felt Levin tugging on my arm. When I looked over at him, he said, "Mama, where's Uncle Dustin and Grandpa Wayne?"

"Uncle Dustin and Grandpa Wayne went home" I told Levin.

Levin nodded and sat back down in the chair he was curled up in all night. At this point I realized that I've been on Steve since the doctor walked in. I felt my face heat up the more I looked back on everything, and before I could be a complete cherry tomato. Then I noticed that Leona was awake. I got up off of Steve and pressed the 'call nurse' button, and a few minutes later a nurse showed up and took her away.

I then turned to Steve and asked him, "so me and Levin are gonna head home for a bit, are you still good to stay here with Leona?"

"Can you wait a second before you leave? I have to make a quick phone call" Steve said to me.

I nodded yes and went out to find a phone. He was only gone for a few minutes, but those minutes felt like hours. All my mind could think about was marrying Steve, and if I really should do this to him. I know still that I shouldn't be dating him if I'm not sure I love him, but I still can't shake this feeling.

As soon as Steve got back, I grabbed my purse and Levin's hand, and power walked out of that hospital and straight to my car. I got Levin buckled in and drove off as fast as I could, knowing if I stayed there for another second, I may not have left at all.